Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#69603 - 02/17/06 11:28 AM Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
In searching the forum, there's been little to no discussion of using one of these PC phoning services. I've got some friends trying to get me to use Skype (free download and computer to computer calls to other Skype members or .017 euro per minute to regular landline phone). Anyone out there using Skype or who has paid for Vonage who wants to comment on their quality when used to or from Spain?

#69604 - 02/17/06 01:49 PM Re: Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
i have been using skype to call my boyfriend in spain when i am back in ireland and it is great, he doesnt have broadband so i upload money via my credit card and i have never had any problems with it so far, i use it to chat with friends that i made on erasmus and find the computer to computer connect great

#69605 - 02/17/06 03:13 PM Re: Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I use skype - it is great but after a while you have to hang up and then call again as the sound seems to fade for whatever reason ...

#69606 - 02/18/06 04:10 AM Re: Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You can use SKYPE anywhere you have an internet connection, no matter the country, but I doubt you can use it (very well if at all) with a slow or dial-up internet connection.

I was corresponding with someone who had SKYPE on their PDA which had WiFi capabilities and he used it (the PDA) like a telephone while he was traveling around Spain, calling his friends/family in the USA (or wherever). That sounded like a very cool way to use SKYPE - so portable.

I'm IN Madrid and my parents in the United States AND my sister in Switzerland call me PC-to-PC through Skype as I've called them. We've also had 3-way conference calls with high audio/voice quality.

I use the PC-to-landline-phone SKYPEout (paid service but CHEAP!) often too. It seems this SKYPEout function works but the audio receiving properties are lower in quality than the PC-to-PC function.

PC-to-PC voice/audio quality is as clear as if that person was sitting in the room next to you - even better quality than phone if you ask me. There is an ever-so-slight delay in voice transmission. Only on a few occasions have I had to "hang up" and reconnect.

When in the USA, I called Spanish landlines several times (SO cheap!) and also to cellular phones (SO expensive!) using SKYPEout but when it's the only way to contact someone abroad it's great.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#69607 - 02/18/06 07:28 AM Re: Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I have Vonage. I was able to keep the US number that I had for over a decade and now it rings in Madrid. It works great. As long as you aren't downloading stuff at the same time, it sounds as good as or better than a cell phone. Definitely better quality than Skype and other software based programs. The only issue I have had is that some times when the other person picks up there is a one or two second delay before they can hear me.

#69608 - 02/18/06 09:42 AM Re: Skype, Vonage or ??? anywhere in Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
WOW - that is very neat you could keep your US vonage number in madrid - very global !! I didnt know you could do that!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3041 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments