Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68019 - 03/22/03 08:29 PM Current Spanish Music
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hi all,
This is my first post in awhile, I want to make a CD of Spanish music so I was hoping someone could tell me the names/artists of what's popular now. You know, what they play in the discotecas like the "summer songs" although right now I guess they'd be "spring songs." I like to keep in touch with what's popular now!

#68020 - 03/24/03 08:38 AM Re: Current Spanish Music
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
It´s a sad state of affairs as far as music goes. Basically Operacion Triunfo (spanish equivalent I think of "american idol") with some Belle Pop. I don´t know, maybe if you have not heard their songs 5000 times you´ll like them. Also Paulina Rubio (not spanish but very popular). Maybe the least offensive thing being played on a grand scale is Alex Ubago, a singer/songwriter of sentimental and kind of depressing love songs. Hope this fulfills your desire for catchy spanish pop tunes

em

#68021 - 03/24/03 09:11 AM Re: Current Spanish Music
Miguelito Offline

Probably the song most popular right now is 'Iluso' by La cabra mecánica, I'm a little bit fed up of it, but it's very "Spanish". I think the theme of Beth 'Dime' it's also popular.

#68022 - 03/24/03 09:14 AM Re: Current Spanish Music
el viajero Offline

OT is having an impact in the U.S. as well. David Bisbal's music videos are being heavily promoted on Latino TV shows here, and last time I tuned into the Telemundo (or Univisión?) network, he was making a personal appearance, singing and wiggling his hips.

During the original OT, he was the contestant I hoped would win. Now, watching him on a variety show with seasoned professionals, he comes off as a bit amateurish. Not so much his voice, which is strong, but his physical performance. But then, he must be exhausted, since he seems to be everywhere.

Quote:
Probably the song most popular right now is 'Iluso' by La cabra mecánica,
Cool. I'll try to track down a copy.

Quote:
I'm a little bit fed up of it, but it's very "Spanish". I think the theme of Beth 'Dime' it's also popular.
Is this a remake of the schmaltzy, overplayed ballad from the '70s? (Dime.... solamente dime... / Feelings... nothing more than feelings...")

#68023 - 03/24/03 11:04 AM Re: Current Spanish Music
Miguelito Offline

Oh No!! It's the new song that will represent Spain in Eurovision festival this year!

#68024 - 03/24/03 11:17 PM Re: Current Spanish Music
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Don't forget Alex Ubago - his album is amazing and he was pretty much the only new artist last year who could compete with the OT craze (by the way, I love Bustamante and Rosa).

I was watcing Univision at 1 AM a few days ago and saw Bisbal on a Mexican soap opera. My friends who watch Univision regularly tell me he's on all the time now. I don't think he looks any more amatuerish than any other artist his age in their first year of professional work. But I have to admit I never liked the way he danced - he puts WAY too much into it until it's a just too over the top. That's his style... But he has an incredible voice, especially when he sings a ballad.

Melinda

#68025 - 03/25/03 02:46 PM Re: Current Spanish Music
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Gracias!

#68026 - 04/17/03 05:07 PM Re: Current Spanish Music
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Here's a few names that I've been listening to lately - mostly pop style music: David Bisbal, David Bustamante, David Civera, Melody, Formula Abierta, Gisela, Estopa, Rosario, Alejandro Sanz, Alex Ubago, Alexandro, Cafe Quijano, Las Ketchup, Raul, Tony Santos, Carlos Baute (not sure if he's spanish tho...)

And to check the charts, do a search for radio stations top 40 lists:
http://www.cadena100.es/del100al1/del100al1_idx.asp
Or my favorite: http://www.los40.com/actualidad/listas/lista40.html

K. Sanchez

#68027 - 08/15/03 07:29 AM Re: Current Spanish Music
Desiree1986 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Great names above.. you could also try some songs from Marc Anthony... he has great ones!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3023 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments