Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67741 - 10/27/02 10:01 PM Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This posting is on behalf of my ladyfriend in Madrid. Today, on the phone, she told me that Woody Allen and Arthur Miller recently won the Príncipe de Asturias Award in Spain for lifetime achievements in their respective careers.

First, I hadn't heard of this prestigious award (sorry, Spain!) and wasn't even sure who Arthur Miller was! (she had to tell me) Sure, I know who Woody Allen is but he's been so.. well.. UNpopular these last few years, at least to the masses, here in the USA that he's almost been forgotten by me.

ANYWAY, she wanted me to ask the world how you liked these two guys and if they deserved the award and how you felt about them. Well, she loves them both but feel free to disagree.

I guess Arthur Anderson is a playright (or is it "playwright?" or even "playwrite"? Anyway, he writes plays -- or used to.. no idea) and was one of the many wives of Marilyn Monroe.

Woody Allen is/was an actor, director, and mo****** of... DOH! I mean, an admirer of young Asian girls - particularly those in his own family.

Apparently, when interviewed at the site of the award in Spain, Arthur Miller answered most questions in Spanish! Woody Allen said he was happily surprised that he was so well received in Spain and Europe, UNLIKE in the USA, he said, all in English.

So..... comments? Spaniards? Others? (I joked with her that this thread would likely die a fast death and no one would respond so let's see... hehehe.. and since this is Sunday night and won't show up on Monday's " Today\'s Active Topics " list)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67742 - 10/28/02 01:04 AM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
MMan, I understand you must have been sleepy last nite (just like me, this Monday morning frown !), but really, stating that dear Marilyn Monroe, married, among other wives, Arthur ANDERSON!!!
Were you sampling any Albariño, Rioja, Orujo, Mahou beer, etc..., by any chance? wink

#67743 - 10/28/02 05:39 AM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
pim

I think it was the after effects of partaking in some chat room activity last night - the heady experience of conversation, no doubt coupled with some of the items you mentioned.

I know Marilyn Monroe led an 'interesting life', but I too was totally unaware of any of her wives wink - and a wife with a man's name too? Curiouser and curiouser.

Jo

PS I simply can't stand Woody Allen or any of his films, I personally go out of my way to avoid them. I find him the most unfunny person in the whole wide world, and also find him and his films irritating. Sorry frown

#67744 - 10/28/02 05:44 AM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
I guess Arthur Anderson is a playright (or is it "playwright?" or even "playwrite"? Anyway, he writes plays -- or used to.. no idea) and was one of the many wives of Marilyn Monroe.
eek DOH!! hahhaahahaaa!!!!! Ohmygoodnesss, I laughed myself silly when I read this... Yes, it's true, I WAS exhausted last night when I wrote this... and even moreso THIS morning, after getting a whole 2 hours of sleep (insomnia last night!) before now.......z.zzzzzzzz..zzzzzzzz....zzzzzz.. THUD!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67745 - 10/28/02 11:30 AM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Arhtur MILLER (while before you live that one down MM :o ) was an outstanding playwriter - besides being married to MM - the blond one who wore skirts and stood over street grates.

Some of Woody Allen's movies were hysterical - anyone remember the one with Diane Keaton - The Goodby Girl?

#67746 - 10/28/02 01:24 PM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan, you are hilarious! What's funny was that it should have been Henry Miller not Arthur Miller who should have been paired with Woody Allen! laugh Henry was known as a devotee of erotica!Writer of such tales a Nexus, Plexus and Sexus (which I have not read rolleyes )!

Arthur Miller wrote serious material. Best recognized by the The Crucible and Death of A Salesman. He and Marilyn must have been known as "Beauty and the Brain"!

#67747 - 10/30/02 10:47 PM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
This is too much!! Although I know Arthur MILLER is a great playwright, I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen's movies. One was pretty entertaining, the others have all seemed a bit long-winded and boring. He's supposed to be this great mind of our time, but I can't take too much of him in one sitting!!

Incidentally, I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but you can find out more about the Prince of Asturias Foundation & awards at: www.fpa.es . The foundation was founded in 1980 in honour of don Felipe de Borbon, Prince of Asturias, Crown Prince of Spain. (And my future husband!!! rolleyes )

-GG smile

#67748 - 10/31/02 08:18 PM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well Princess Granada Girl ,

Just remember to invite us to the Royal Palace for the wedding! laugh laugh BTW if you need a royal librarian, let me know! rolleyes

#67749 - 11/05/02 01:12 PM Re: Príncipe de Asturias Award: Woody Allen & Arthur Miller
Miguelito Offline

I usually enjoy Woody Allen very much, and I have liked he got the prize, I have liked also how emotive he has been with Spain. Don't know so much about Arthur Miller although his name was familiar to me. It's curious that although both of them live in NY they have seen each other for the first time in Oviedo.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1965 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments