Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67124 - 01/28/02 08:55 PM Favorite children's stories in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, folks--
Astrid Lindgren, the author of one of my favorite children's stories, "Pippi Longstocking," died today--and because I can connect EVERY event or issue to Spain, that got me thinking...

What books do Spanish kids LOVE? What did the Spanish board members read as children? I wonder whether the books kids read here (and in other English-speaking countries) are popular in Spain?

I am guessing Harry Potter is popular with kids now...but what else? What books would no good Spanish children's library be without?

#67125 - 01/29/02 03:51 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
nevado Offline

I really like Gloria Fuertes . I think any age can enjoy her work.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#67126 - 01/29/02 09:12 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
Miguelito Offline

There are two famous Spanish books for children, Manolito Gafotas (it must be some kind of William, I haven't read any) and Las tres mellizas I think it's the name of the other..
When I was child I read Los cinco, Los tres investigadores, Guillermo el travieso, Mortadelo y Filemón and novels like Momo (Michael Ende), and the adventures ones like Miguel Strogoff and others Jules Verne's novels, Taras Bulba .... I can't remember now what else but I use to read a lot

#67127 - 01/29/02 10:21 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hey, Miguelito, I LOVED "Momo"! That was a great book.

Do books like the Nancy Drew series get any attention in Spain? How about the Winnie the Pooh books, or Paddington?

#67128 - 01/30/02 02:28 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
Miguelito Offline

I have known about Winnie the Pooh and Paddington bear but I think they weren't very famous here, in fact, I remember more Paddington bear as a puppet than as a story book and I think there is a book of Winnie the Pooh around my house, it should be my sister's. Sorry, I don't have a good memory, I will try to remember something else.

#67129 - 01/30/02 02:43 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
Miguelito Offline

I don't know about Nancy Drew. If you want to have a look at some nostalgic Spanish icons, have a look at this page www.teacuerdas.com , although I think it's more oriented to 60's (I was born in 71) and the part of books it's begining.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#67130 - 01/30/02 10:55 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, Miguelito, for the link! I looked up the year of my birth (1970) to see what was happening in Spain at that time. I didn't recognize some of the cartoons and other things, but some were familiar (the television programs "Flipper" and "My Favorite Martian," for example!).

Tara smile

#67131 - 01/30/02 11:10 AM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Miguelito,
I loved that sight. I may even use it for my students to check out their birthdays and see what was happening. I think it could be a very cool assignment.
I have a copy of Las tres mellizas and it is a long-time favorite of my two daughters. It is such a wonderful children's book. My girls also love Babar books.
I will try to look through our Enormous collection and get some more ideas.

#67132 - 01/30/02 03:18 PM Re: Favorite children's stories in Spain?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
As a kid, every year "the Three Wise Men" brought my sister and I several of Gloria Fuertes' books, and I remember that each year I was very dissapointed since to me THOSE weren't REAL toys! Now I totally praise my parents' 'buen gusto' and persistence! Sra. Fuertes's little poems are funny, witty and full of sensitivity and simplicity. Hey, I'm thinking they can be a great tool for learners of Spanish! smile

In Spain Pippi's books weren't popular, actually I doubt they existed here. Buy the TV show was a HUGE hit!. With my redish hair and freckles they ALWAYS dressed me as her at costume parties. smile

I was also born in 1970, and kids my age loved comic books, they are called 'tebeos' after one(one of the oldest probably) called literally TBO. Some of the characters of the tebeos are legendary: Zipi y Zape, SuperLopez, Anacleto(agente secreto), Carpanta, la familia Tribulete, Rompetechos, etc....I could go on and on....coincidently, today I've come across an E-mail I was sent after September 11th. that showed a comic strip featuring 'Mortadelo y Filemón'(extremely popular in the 70s and 80s) and in the background a plane was crashing into the twin towers!
Shocking!!!

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: pim ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1699 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments