Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64831 - 01/17/05 05:21 PM curing chorizo in Indiana
carlota Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hi, Does anyone think I will able to cure chorizo in humid Indiana? I have it hanging in a closed off room of my house. It's 12ºC in there. Is that cold enough? Afraid to put it in the garage where it is very cold, because it's also probably very humid. If anyone has any suggeestions, thank you very much.

#64832 - 01/17/05 06:52 PM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Carlota, what type of chorizo did you make? Are you planning on smoking it? Or are you going to use it fresh? If you just want the flavors of the spices to infuse into the meats and use as fresh sausage or chorizo then I would just place it in the refrigerator, 53 degrees doesn't sound cold enough to me, especially if it's pork. I've made fresh chorizo with pork, garlic, paprika and spices and I've let it set or cure in the refigerator for a few days. I've never left it outside, but then again I live in Southern California.

#64833 - 01/17/05 07:42 PM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
carlota Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
Oso Mayor,
Thanks for your answer. I made chorizo with pork and the usual salt, paprika, citric juice, olive oil and white wine. I'm trying to cure it as we do in Salamanca by letting it hang for a couple of months and be ready to eat then with no cooking needed. I think you're right that 53º is too warm. I have opened the window a little and it's surely going to cool off in there since we're going down to -4ºF tonight. This is just an experiment. I think the big difference between the winter air in Indiana and Salamanca, Spain is the humidity and that may do me in. If this experiment does work, I'll sure let everyone know! Maybe we'll all be making chorizo and not have to sneak it through customs anymore!

#64834 - 01/17/05 09:01 PM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Ay! The things we do for chorizo! wink I hope your batch turns out OK.

#64835 - 01/17/05 09:22 PM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Carlota, I used to do the same thing when I lived in the Chicago area! It tasted great, though I always cooked it just to be safe! I prepared some for an exchange student from Sevilla and it brought tears to his eyes! He said it tasted just like home!

#64836 - 02/05/05 02:59 AM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I wouldn't worry about the humidity if I were you. Believe me at -4F the air will not hold much moisture - BRRR! eek

Remember that relative humidity (usually what they report on the news) is what the amount of moisture in the air relative to the total moisture it could possibly hold. The colder air gets, the less total moisture it can hold.

If you are really a nerd like me, you can check out this website that has a nice explanation:
Humidity

But I *do* hope your chorizo turns out well! YOu are making my mouth water. My mom made some when we lived in Virginia (where it is humid and not very cold)- I will try to ask and see how she cured it.

#64837 - 02/27/05 11:09 PM Re: curing chorizo in Indiana
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
I can sympathize with you Carlota. I've got Salamanca meats on my mind too! We've been experimenting with making lomo embutido. Each attempt gets us closer. I'm in NY so humidity is always a concern.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2758 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments