Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64860 - 01/22/05 09:43 AM Becoming an Ex-Pat in Spain
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Since bush stole (I mean won) his second election here in the US, there is a lot of us who want to become Ex-patriots in other countries, including Spain.

In the book "The Bush Survival Bible" by Gene Stone, on page. 83, he gives suggestions on how to live in Spain. Basically, he says that you can enter Spain the first 90 days without a visa. There are 4 types of visas, including a student visa.

The other 3 are work, retiring (but you need to show that you have medical and income to support yourself) and then for "nonlucrative puposes", to show that you don't need to work. But you have to show that you have $75,000 annually from your investments (Madridman, perhaps you don't have $100,000 in a Spanish bank, but are you a trust baby?).

The other visa is a visa to develop religious, cultural, scienctific activities, exempting you the need for work but according to the book, might be complicated. I guess you can find all this information on the Spanish embassy website. Perhaps there are some cultural groups out there I can join?!?

#64861 - 01/22/05 10:11 AM Re: Becoming an Ex-Pat in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
http://www.consulate-spain-chicago.com/visas.htm

(and no - I'm unfortunately not a trust baby - if only! Nor do I make $70k/year from investments - if only!)

* Tourist and Transit Visas (for a stay of up to 90 days )
* Business Visas (business, conferences or related trips)
* Business Visas (for a stay of up to 90 days in a period of a year)
* Student Visas (only for full time students, not allowed to work).
* Residence visa to work in Spain as an employee
* Residence visa to reunite a family
* Residence visa to retire in Spain
* Residence visas for investors or self-employment
* Residence visa for non-lucrative purposes
* Residence visa exempt from the obligation of requesting work permit (e.g. missionary, internship, au-pair, professor, etc)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64862 - 01/23/05 01:20 PM Re: Becoming an Ex-Pat in Spain
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
There is a web site www.escapeartist.com that will have a wealth of information on relocating to another country. I think that you will find after research from that, and other web sites, that Costa Rica, Panama, Argentina and Brazil are good places to look at. Very favorable tax rates. Costa Rica is considered to be the Swiss of the west due to their banking laws and privacy. Obvioulsy the scenary is a little different. Brazil is in a tit for tat argument with Washington DC over trade. So that could give you some heart burn. That site has so many links that it will keep you busy for days reading and researching. Not that I am big on anything from the government, but don't forget the state department's web site.

Like you, I have considered setting up operations in another country. However not for the reasons that you have outlined. Other places that you might consider are Australia and New Zealand. Either one of those you would not have the langauge barrier. Spain is a great place and I have had many great times there but, on the practical side and business end, there are better choices. If you like Europe and want to be in or near Spain, then look at Andora. Great banking law, great privacy law, and easy in immigrate.Very easy to set up a business there. The tax situation is great also. One major draw back to Andora is the cold and snow. To me snow is one of the most beutiful things in the world, as long as it on TV. cool

One last book that I will recomend is, "The Mystery of Capital" it will not give specifics as to a country to move to. It will tell you what to look for, and what you can run up against in some countries around the world when you are attempting to set up a business.

I wish you well. Keep us posted as to your findings. cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2044 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments