Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64325 - 03/30/04 12:01 PM Seeking Spaniards with name "Barbosa": Hola!
Jacquie Offline

Loc: St Augustine Florida
I would love to chat about places to see and visit while in Spain/Portugal. Also, looking for family members in Spain with the last name Barbosa, would love to hear from you!

#64326 - 03/31/04 02:25 PM Re: Seeking Spaniards with name "Barbosa": Hola!
chiquitabanana68 Offline

Loc: Seattle
You might be interested to know (if you don't already) that is actually a Sephardic last name. So I bet you will find some interesting history there, if you keep digging!

#64327 - 03/31/04 03:52 PM Re: Seeking Spaniards with name "Barbosa": Hola!
Jacquie Offline

Loc: St Augustine Florida
I'm having a hard time finding much out of my great grandfather who moved to Puerto Rico from Spain, his last name was Barbosa. I know technically, the word Sepharadim means Spaniards. It comes from Sepharad, the Hebrew word for Spain. In practice however, the term Sepharadim refers to Jews of Spanish and Portuguese origin, whose ancestors were expelled from Spain in 1492.

#64328 - 03/31/04 05:24 PM Re: Seeking Spaniards with name "Barbosa": Hola!
chiquitabanana68 Offline

Loc: Seattle
My understanding is that they weren't all kicked out. Just those who refused to convert to Catholicism. So possibly, if it was your grandfather who left Spain, the family could be converso. That would be interesting, don't you think? Not likely that the family would even know that was the case necessarily, but it's a common Sephardim name.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments