Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63832 - 08/10/03 10:13 PM 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Juana la Loca Offline

Loc: Aurora IL
Hello - I am going to Madrid for the second time this september-october. I will be traveling alone and I am little nervous but I am thrilled since it is the first time I go alone.... Language is not a problem, I am fluent in Spanish, so getting arround is easy for me (I am Mexican). I have been to Toledo, and Escorial, Sevilla and Granada. This time I think I want to stay in Madrid only, because I will be getting together with some friends there. But also wanted to visit other towns close to Madrid, like day trips. I wanted to go the the Sierra Nevada... but do not know where to go and what is worth seing. I love little mountain towns (like Toledo) any suggestions?
confused

#63833 - 08/11/03 05:53 AM Re: 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Sierra Nevada is far from Madrid. Do you mean the Sierra de Guadarrana? In that general direction from Madrid there's Segovia and Sepulveda, both nice places to visit.

#63834 - 08/11/03 01:19 PM Re: 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Juana,
You are going at a great time the weather is perfect then. As Eddie mentioned, my favorite city, Segovia is a short train ride from Madrid. Avila where St. Teresa was born is also a short train ride away. There's Alcala de Henares that has a very old university. Chinchón has a nice Anís drink. All of these cities have been discussed at length by previous posters. If you do a search in Favorite places you'll read all about it! Go to Salamanca if you can!
laugh

#63835 - 09/05/03 06:49 PM Re: 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
¡Hola Juana!

If you are going to have access to a car, I highly recommend the back road to Segovia. I am painting there several times per week, and I love the hour-long drive. Take the N-607 north to Colmenar Viejo, continue up the mountain to Cerra Nevada and then down through some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see to the amazing town of La Granja. BE SURE to stop to visit the gardens of the royal palace there! Then, on to Segovia and the famous aquaduct and cathedral. Be careful on the winding mountain roads, the trucks (and cars, and motorcycles, and bicycles) can cut corners and "wander" over the centerline!

Drop me a line at martin@*SPAMBUSTERS*1stclasspinups.com (leave out the *SPAMBUSTERS* when you write!)with something about MADRIDMAN in the subject line in CAPS so I can see it above the spam, and I will return my mobile number so you can get in touch if you want. I'll be glad to help you out.

#63836 - 09/05/03 11:36 PM Re: 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Espe3 Offline

You may be thinking Navacerrada instead of Sierra Nevada.

Gredos is a great place to go trekking and has some cool little towns in there. Its not far from Madrid either.

You may also want to consider Avila- and visit the caves smile Very cool.

I second Booklady- Chinchon is great! smile

Have you been to Segovia? There's quite a bit there.

Also Salamanca is definately worth seeing (but a bit farther away).

#63837 - 09/08/03 08:10 PM Re: 2nd time in Madrid, Traveling alone
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I'm going to be in Barco de Avila, not far from Avila. How far is it to Salamanca from Barco?
Is it feasible to go to Salamanca for the day and back to Barco de Avila by 5PM?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2022 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments