Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63659 - 07/03/03 09:57 AM Barajas: What a mess!
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Well here I am, Back from 4 hot weeks in Spain. All went super well, perhaps the best trip in terms of what I saw and pictures taken etc.

Here is what I did not like:
Lets start with Barajas Airport. INSIDE: What a mess. The queues go any which way, impeding the flow of people. Others are in line where they should not be (how do you know which line your in?) Other lines are for the "Saran wrap guy" (wraps your suitcase in plastic )also blocking flow. People smoke were they want (common everywhere). OUTSIDE: I guess its just a free for all... pull up squeeze in anywhere with your car (block everyone else), unload your friends/ family and leave the car there. This also applies to bus and train stations.

SOLUTION: All of the above is a huge security risk. A special core of the Guardia Civil should be formed and dispatched (not only in the airport, but also certain public areas). They would not allow anyone to stop (loading and unloading only!!)in front of the airport (penalty, servere fines + towing). Inside they would keep the flow moving by organizing queues, and ticketing offenders (ie: smoking).
The whole thing sounds a bit Martial but imagine if a nation cannot follow the simplest rules of civility, how can it even begin to compete in "bigger things"?
All of this ties into, recycling, reducing grafity, cleaning up, knocking down "Eyesores" (long abandoned building of no redemable value), severe parking fines, litering fines. This would benefit the people and by extention increase the flow of tourism (I believe Spain is second only to France in number of tourist per year).
Yes Spain has come a long way but is has a long way to go.
The thing is, all that I have said is echoed by my friends and family in Spain! There are many more that would agree. Is it the government? Corruption? Money?
PS: Don't get me started on immigration.

#63660 - 07/03/03 11:48 AM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Miguelito Offline

I agree with you in all you have said.
The last thing is that they have remove the papers for security reasons, so it's also dirty frown
Some things are consecuence of the small size of Barajas, but almost all are because of bad organization and lack of civism in people (I cannot bear people smoking where it's forbiden and double line with the cars)

#63661 - 07/03/03 01:59 PM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I've been through Barajas quite a few times now and I don't find it any worse than any other aiport I know. The Spanish, thank god, still believe in doing things their own way and I for one don't see anything wrong in that. Granted the smoking probably does bother people but this is Spain. Same thing happens in Italy, Greece, France etc. Maybe things don't seem so organised as in other large airports but I've never had a flight delay nor lost any luggage flying out of Madrid. If you want to go through a real hell-on-earth airport visit Paris Charles de Gaulle.

#63662 - 07/03/03 03:49 PM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Boo-hoo...

When you get your own airport, you can run it the way you like.

Otherwise, maybe next time you should stay home.

I personally enjoy the lack of regimentation at Barajas, and as far as smoking goes...

tell someone who cares.

#63663 - 07/04/03 05:46 AM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I can't agree Barajas is a bad airport. I use it every other week more or less and generally the queues are not long, it is clean, and their is sufficient security.

Compare this to any of the four major London airports. Twice in the last 3 months at Luton and last week at Gatwick it took me about 80 minutes from arriving to clear the departures x rays etc, all solid queueing. The toilets are nearly always dirty and parking outside is no better.

Smoking is part of spanish culture (unfortunately) along with bull fighting and you either have to put up with it or shut up about it.

And Barajas and Londons airports are far far better than several others I've been to, the worst being - Miami USA

#63664 - 07/04/03 07:10 AM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Miguelito Offline

Quote:
Smoking is part of spanish culture (unfortunately)
But if it's forbiden to smoke it's forbiden, in the metro, in the airport, wherever and it's a lack of civism not to care about it.
I think authorities should decide between allow to smoke or forbid it, but if they forbid it they must take care of the law.

#63665 - 07/04/03 10:18 AM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
I appreciate the feed back! Even though some of you do not see the point (like Rocinante, hey! are you old enough to be here? I think I hear your mom calling...). Miguelito, thanks for your input.
Several things: I am not trying to compare Barajas to any airport in specific, and by the way, try parking in the "loading and unloading" zone in Miami airport...I dare ya. The points made were to IMPROVE my beloved Madrid and by extension, Spain. Oh to the one who said that the spaniards do what they like...do it there way etc, BS! Sure, you can do what you want, but when it interferes with civility, safety and efficiency and respect, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I'd like to run around and touch a lot a women in Spain...but I just can't "do what I want". (bad example).

Oh and smoking? It has been said before, If Spaniards cannot even follow the simplest rule (I'm not telling them to quit!) of not smoking in certain areas, then what rules can they follow??
Hey, maybe I should just "do what I want" and walk up and put the cigarette out with my fist.

#63666 - 07/04/03 11:24 AM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I suppose that when the Spanish get fed up with the amount of smoking in Barajas or anywhere else in Spain then the government will do something about it but at the moment it doesn't seem to be something that really bothers them. Yet again I cant see what the problem is. Maybe I've just been at the airport when it's not so busy but the queues at check-in or the situation outside the terminal at the drop off points seem just like any other airport. As for security, the Spanish have had over thirty years practice watching out for bombs etc due to ETA terrorism so I think they'll have the situation at Barajas pretty much under control by now.

#63667 - 07/06/03 02:04 PM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
I always find it amazing when people visit foreign countries and expound on what they don't like and how it 'should' improve, or how it should be more like the place they came from.

My reply was bitingly sarcastic - I apologize for the lack of civility - however, I really think there are things one must accept.

We woudn't expect Spaniards to come here and start smoking in our airports, so it's a bit naive to expect a nation of heavy smokers to suddenly adapt overnight to standards of 'civility'. It will happen though...when the Spanish people gradually feel like it.

#63668 - 07/06/03 06:18 PM Re: Barajas: What a mess!
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Here's my commentary on Barajas:

1) The security is very tight. I have been subjected more than once. Helpful hint: if you are a female, DO NOT put on makeup and sunglasses as you step off the plane. You might fit a profile and be subjected to intense search. I was. The search was long in duration. I was not even carrying a cigarette. Five customs inspectors went through my suitcase, my carry on and my purse. They unfolded my clothing and searched every pocket, etc, etc. Finally, when I started to feel afraid, I said "Estoy aqui para una reunion universitaria." and they let up. Now, when I travel by plane to a foreign country, I wear no makeup and I wear my most horrid thick lens eyeglasses that make me look like, well I won't tell you what they make me look like, but it is not attractive. Bottom line, in Barajas they know how to inspect.

2) I don't smoke. I adore the smell of Ducados as I arrive in Barajas. I long for the smell. But, I have a strong sense of smell and I associate the Ducados with the Spain experience.

3) I think the saran wrap/air bubble saran wrap business at Barajas is a great idea. I have had valuable luggage damaged by the airlines. Instead of replacing what gets damaged, they do a half a** job of repair. I am stuck with a $200 suitcase with a frame that has been "bent back". It looks like trash. I am happy that my bag was not lost. Now, I buy the damaged suitcase on the clearance rake before I fly.

4) The metro going to Barajas is AWESOME. Oh yeah, I am screaming it MM. Where else can you go from the airport to the city center for about $1 american? I've paid the taxi drivers in Europe and in the states. The taxi is pricey. I love that metro at Barajas. It did not exist several years ago.

Regarding the parking and driving outside Barajas, I am not qualified to comment. I have only been in taxis, and they were a rip off. The driver had no problem getting out of the airport.

Barajas seemed VERY CLEAN to me, but I have traveled a lot in the USA during peak season and holidays, and I have seen real filth only because so many people are in transit.

Finally, I love the Spain experience so much that I do not see the down side. The person who started this post is simply sharing a point of view which will enlighten future travelers. My point of view is different because I long to be in Spain. I hope that Spain never lets me down. The country and its people have been very good to me for over 25 years.

Saludos!

PS: The original poster is from Canada, which is an awesome country too. I see things in Canada that I think are superior to life in the USA, but that would be another forum. I go to Canada a lot, living two and a half hours away by car. I get a kick out of travel to places that are different from my daily routine in the USA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1844 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments