Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63675 - 06/25/03 04:29 PM Spaniards in West Los Angeles
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Ok. After a year removed from moving back from Spain, I'm now relocated to Los Angeles, CA. Although I'm obviously surrounded by "Latino" culture - BTW, I have discovered that no one of such denomination actually speaks Latin - and have ample opportunity to speak and hear Spanish in this part of the world, I find myself desparately hungry for Peninsular Spanish.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about contacting any Spaniards that may be in the area? I've tried the obvious search engines for for groups and clubs, but nothing yeilds any leads.

There has to be a few Spaniards in a region of 10 million people. Anyone by chance know of any?

#63676 - 06/25/03 07:21 PM Re: Spaniards in West Los Angeles
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Rocinante, Have you tried frequenting one or two Spanish restaurants in town? That's what I did here in San Diego many, many years ago and found a wonderful Spanish community existed in SoCal. It's actually quite large and everyone knows everyone!
I even met my madrileño hubby at the Spanish restaurant. Anyway, usually Spaniards are very homesick for their cuisine and will often frequent such establishments. I know from experience!
Happy eating and greeting!!! smile

P.S. You may also try meeting them at a local dance or cultural event with Spanish permformances. (i.e. Flamenco).

#63677 - 06/26/03 01:38 AM Re: Spaniards in West Los Angeles
Rocinante Offline

Thanks for the info. I'm up in L.A. and don't get to San Diego really, but I'd like to network with people who do. I'll be buzzing around this board more often, reading all the threads here and there, so I'll let you all know how my search goes. Thanks again.

#63678 - 06/26/03 07:19 PM Re: Spaniards in West Los Angeles
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Rocinante, Why don't you come out to Chino on the 4th of July weekend (actually Sunday the 6th)? The Southern California Basque Club is having their annual picnic at the Chino Jr. Fairgrounds. Although there are Basques from the French side, it's a pretty even split with those from the Spanish side and there is much "peninsular" spoken! We'll be there, and if you like lamb, you're in for a great dinner!

See the schedule and directions HERE . The SoCal picnic is the third on the list. I'll be there, and my daughter will be dancing with the little kids group.

It's a little hot, but the food and atmosphere is wonderful. PM me if you'd like further info! I've got all kinds of family that you can talk ears off of in castellano! wink

#63679 - 06/26/03 07:34 PM Re: Spaniards in West Los Angeles
Rocinante Offline

Calibasco, I it sounds like a plan. Fill me in on the details and I'll plan on it. It sounds extremely interesting. Me muero de ancticipación.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments