Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63418 - 05/01/03 06:41 AM Mayday, Mayday....!!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Happy May Day! Fiesta day here in Spain, it's beautiful weather on the Costa del Sol and I am just about to set off on our annual romeria, which entails heading into the campo or countryside outside the village after Mass at the local church.

Everyone deserts the village on horseback, in carts drawn by oxen, on foot or in cars and sets up camp at a spot by the river and we begin a day long fiesta. laugh We have barbeques set up and improvised bars of tables, dustbins full of ice and a stage where the band blast out the sevillanas, rumbas, pop and pasa dobles and everyone squeezes onto a huge dance floor made of concrete.

It's one of the best days of the year for the Spanish resident and hopefully this one will follow its usual pattern of fun, food, drink, dance and stagger home as it gets dark without incident. Unlike three years ago when a spark from a bbq set fire to the hillside and everyone became an honorary bombero or fireman, for the day laugh

Time to saddle up!! eek Actually I'm on Shanks' Pony, which as any Brit will tell you, means my own two legs!! Viva la romeria!

#63419 - 05/01/03 09:45 AM Re: Mayday, Mayday....!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Yep! tomorrow too it's the holiday of the 'Comunidad de Madrid', and very soon will be San Isidro, so I say ¡¡¡Viva el mes de Mayo en Madrid!!! laugh laugh laugh
(I also love Mother's Day, since it means....great homemade food, he, he! rolleyes )

#63420 - 05/01/03 10:11 AM Re: Mayday, Mayday....!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Anchovy, my friend,

I hope your day has been fantastic! I'm sitting here in Wisconsin, where it's cold and rainy. I was outside for just a few minutes and don't think I'll make that mistake again. I'm still chilled.

I'm glad you're walking. I don't want to hear how you fell off your ass on the way down the hill.... eek

Wolf (Snickering at the thought of finding a donkey that could hold me up. It'd take more like a Budweiser Clydsdale - rolleyes )

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2588 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments