Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#60655 - 08/03/01 12:48 PM Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Jaime Offline

Hi Everyone,
My friend and I have been playing with the idea of a tapas bar for a long time but recent developments have made our dream seem more a reality. As far as tapas go we will have a large flat grill right inside the bar so ideas for favorite tapas that can be grilled would be great...and of course cold ones too. I am looking for ideas for a name, gimmicks, even design concepts. La Duque got some great ideas for her restaurant and I 'm hoping that you guys can give me some great ones too.
Gracias
Jaime

#60656 - 08/03/01 06:02 PM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Tia Offline

Jaime, what about the following names?
La Barra
Restaurante Gusto / Con Gusto
Restaurante Aceituna

Tia smile

#60657 - 08/17/01 10:52 AM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There are two tapa bars that I know of here in Toronto. One is called Tapas - lousy name, great place. The other is called Picante, which I think is not a bad name at all.

As for recipes, Penelope Casas is the author of several Spanish (English-language) cookbooks, one of which is devoted to tapas and is, I believe, called "Tapas - the Little Meals of Spain" (anyway, definitely "Tapas -....."). I think you'll find it on Madridman's shopping section. I know it is still in print because I see it in bookshops here all the time. I have a copy and it is quite good.

And if you are in the neighbourhood of Jerez de la Frontera, go on the tour of the Gonzales Byass bodega and in the huge gift shop at the end of the tour you can by a tapas cookbook very cheaply - and many of the recipes call for some Tio Pepe!! What a surprise!

I forgot to ask - where is this tapas bar going to be??

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#60658 - 08/17/01 10:57 AM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Sounds great! Where is this gastronomical institution to be located? Also, tiahjohanna..."restaurante aceituna" sounds a lot like a US "institution" known as "Olive Garden", which is Italian for "prepackaged pasta dinners".

I posted this on laduque's thread, and I will post it again...since I probably won't get a restaurant going, Altamira is the best name out there. You could decorate the interior with subdued lighting, and have a textured ceiling, like the cave, and paint the interior like the cave...quite the conversation starter, no?

Best tapa for starters: Gambas al ajillo...hands down.

#60659 - 08/17/01 05:30 PM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Jaime Offline

Calibasco,
I remembered your Altamira suggestion from the other posting and fell in love with the name. I like it also because even if you don't know anything about Altamira or Spain, it still sounds classy and interesting.

#60660 - 08/17/01 06:49 PM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

If it wasn't for the package, there wouldn't be any flavor at all. I rate them right there with that TGI(shhh! Don't mention the name)place.

As for a wine list, I've seen better selections at a cheaper price along skid row in Chicago. You know... the stuff you mix with 7up, or anything else, because it tastes like turpentine.... rolleyes

On that note, I'm going out for a nice Friday Fish Fry. Tonight I intend getting the baked red snapper. I'm so hungry right now I'd attack a giant squid so I could eat his tentacles off... raw!!!! eek

Wolf (Whose eyes are never, never, never, bigger than his stomach.) wink

#60661 - 08/19/01 03:26 PM Re: Help-Ideas for a Tapas Bar
Tia Offline

Cali and Wolf,
never heard of Olive Garden, but I haven´t been to US either frown ... (so far).
Aceituna sounds good to me, since there is a lovely restaurant called Oliven
(aceituna in Swedish) in Stockholm.
If you ever visit Stockholm you´ll find me there sitting in a corner and slobbering over the menu. wink

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1759 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments