Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59759 - 03/06/01 10:17 AM Madrid here I come!
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
What an inspiring board! I've been checking in on this site for a few years (talking about going even longer) and this summer I finally am doing it: 32 nights in Madrid, from 14th June to 16th July!

My multi-phased, multi-year plan begins this summer with taken a 4-week intensive Spanish class (I am already conversant and wish to improve my profiency; I'm hoping to not speak English at all for a month). The language school I decided upon (EUREKA) is located about 1 block from Sol and also offers studios for accomodation (location, location, location). I will be sure to let the board know my impressions of the school. So far, it is very positive.

I have seen many posts on current fashion for women, but not as many for current fasion for men. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Also, any personal experiences, travelogues, etc. to get me in the mood, help me prepare for the unexpected, I don't know...I'm just so excited to finally put this plan in action.

Part 2 is to look for paternal relatives (my grandparents are from Spain); part 3 to stay for an extended time period (3 - 6 months, and for the cynics, NOT with my newfound relatives)and take an even more intensive Spanish class, getting as close to fluent as can be expected for that time frame ; part 4 to (of course) look for work in marketing, project management, etc... Part 4 will obviously be the hardest (teaching English is not for me). This is not on my immediate radar, though.

I don't even know what advice to ask for this part 1 trip; I'll take any and all hints, suggestions, tricks, traps, etc. And, of course, continue to scour these boards...

Thanks!

#59760 - 03/06/01 01:03 PM Re: Madrid here I come!
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Good for you! I am so envious!

You might want to check out www.seraphina.com/mosey/ They have a long section on Spain. there isn't very muchon Madrid, per say, but I think it will still whet your appetite.

#59761 - 03/06/01 05:48 PM Re: Madrid here I come!
Catalina Offline

Loc: Madison ,WI, USA
I'm happy for you - and envious! I'll be anxiously awaiting your posts, especially the ones relating to the language school. There are so many of those and it's hard to know which ones are really good.

#59762 - 03/07/01 02:09 PM Re: Madrid here I come!
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
One hint, if you don't want to talk english you will have to avoid the crowd of foreign students that are going to drag me into their nightlife. Summer goes very fast try to mix with the natives

#59763 - 03/08/01 07:47 AM Re: Madrid here I come!
nevado Offline

I would suggest setting up an intercambio before you get there. You can get some e-mail addresses from the InMadrid link on MM's link page. Intercambios are for you to practice your Spanish and for a Spanish person to practice their English. It's a great way to meet Spanish people and most will be happy to show you around.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-09-2001).]

#59764 - 03/09/01 01:44 AM Re: Madrid here I come!
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Gracias a todos...for the helpful information. I will definitely look up intercambios.

By the way, and I am receiving absolutely nothing for this, I just ordered MM's 2000 Video to get me in the mood (since I'm so impatient I needed to see some stuff NOW)...very cool and very worth it.

Thanks again everyone...how will I make it through these next 3 months?

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-09-2001).]

#59765 - 03/09/01 06:57 AM Re: Madrid here I come!
nevado Offline

The real question is...how will you make it through post-Spain depression? You'd better start working on phase 2 of your plan!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3019 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments