Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58335 - 11/15/00 05:46 PM Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Off to D.C. right after Christmas (and right BEFORE SPAIN!!). Anyone know good places, Spanish, preferably, in the Dupont Circle area? Online I saw one called Jaleo (don't know where it is) and another called Taberna de A-something (good memory, eh?) that sounded expensive and maybe stuffy? (ties and jackets, etc). Advice por favor! Thanks! and don't forget my recommendation in New York (Marichu) and San Francisco (Zarzuela)!

#58336 - 12/05/00 06:55 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
maria Offline

Loc: Washinton DC
Hi RGF, Washinton has good Spanish restaurants however they are expensive. Jaleo has really good and afordable tapas, on the other hand La taberna del Alabardero is very expensive and has a great wine selection if you want to pay for it. My favorite, however, is Andalucia de Bethesda. It's just outside of DC and you can reach it by metro on the red line. They have amazing "besugo a la sal" and entrecote. You will pay arond 25$ per person and you don't need reservation because it is no very crowded.
Buen provecho.

#58337 - 12/05/00 07:21 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for those tips! I;ll be in the DuPont circle area and won't be able to travel very far because I will be at a conference...

#58338 - 12/05/00 10:44 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
Wendy E Offline

Jaleo is downtown, I think it's on 7th & E. It's near the Navy Memorial metro stop.

#58339 - 12/07/00 06:05 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
David K Offline

There is also a churreria/restaurant named, appropriately, La Churreria de Madrid in Adams-Morgan (not too far from the Dupont area). I've never eaten lunch or dinner there (only had churros to go). It's sort of a hole in the wall.

#58340 - 12/07/00 09:12 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I'll second Maria's choice of Andalucia in Bethesda. It produces the best Spanish food I've ever eaten in a restaurant outside of Spain--better than some I've had in Spain. Excellent! And not overpriced.
Cantabene

#58341 - 12/11/00 09:26 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
MunchiMike, I see you're moving your way down the list. STOP!!! Have a glass of wine, and save the rest for tomorrow. We really don't expect you to comment on EVERY posting we have here (but at the rate you're going YOU WILL! hehehe). Gather your thoughts and give a well-thought out reply, insightful comment, and so on and so on... There was a joke a few months ago about a few people who would simply post something like "Yeah. I agree with that." or "Now THAT was great link!" and so on... We really appreciate your insight and that's what we're all about. Your 1950 experience CAN ONLY enlighten us all. Tell us about it! We want to know!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58342 - 12/11/00 11:36 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
hi all.
i just arrived in d.c. and will be here for work for the next 2 weeks. tonight i dropped in at JALEO.(thanks to this thread) i had calamare al a plancha, croquetas de jamon & pollo washed down with a glass of a red from jumilla and two bottles of estrella de galicia. the beer was accompanied with a tubo glass, which added to my experience. the exact, same tubo as in spain. the taste of the beer. the glass. the croquetas.(how can you f#@$ up croquetas?) the grilled squid. i was in spain for a few.
there were many patrons, also. especially for a monday night. cigarette smoke. loud chatter. wed. nite features flamenco. we'll see.
there are several spanish eateries in this area, which i plan on crashing, in this area.
the total damage was $26.75. not quite spanish prices, but the experience was worht it to me.

more to come......

#58343 - 12/19/00 12:24 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
Guapetona Offline

RGF: There is a great restaurant on 8th about a block away from Jaleo called Cafe Atlantico. The chef is the ex-chef from Jaleo - Andres. The menu is not all Spanish. Some is Latin American. The food is all wonderful. Its also the only rest in DC where
you can have year old tetilla cured in aceite. Fabulous dessert!

'Taluego

#58344 - 12/19/00 01:09 PM Re: Spanish restaurants in D.C.?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Guapetona and everyone, thanks! How far is Jaleo and Care Altlantico from Dupont circle area? I;m at the Westin Fairfax on Mass Ave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1768 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments