Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85623 - 10/29/09 02:04 PM Pay as you go mobiles - identification law
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I've had a movistar pay as you go mobile phone (or tarjeta as they call them here) for around 6 years now. Recently I've been bombarded by texts from them which I've been deleting assuming they were circulars, until I actually read one while bored waiting for the metro - and what a good job I did.

Apparently, if I don't go down to a telefonica shop to identify myself, my line will be cut off on the 8th November. At first I thought this was maybe a scam, but no, you are now not allowed a mobile phone without identifying yourself in Spain.

Now for me, this is an invasion of privacy. Why should I have to tell a company that sold me a phone years ago who I am and prove it. What happened to laws not being retrospective ? But if I don't the Spanish government says I can't have a phone, simple as that.

I answered the phone to movistar customer services today, I usually cut them off but they're getting very persistent as the deadline approaches. Would I like them to pre-register me so that I only have to confirm it in a shop ? No, not really, was my reply. But if you don't, we have to cut you off, they informed me. OK I said, well let me consider further if I need a phone that much. She just could not understand that, and kept re-reading parts of her script.

Is it just me or does anyone else find this law intrusive ?

#85624 - 10/29/09 04:29 PM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: Jamongris]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Jamongris,

I agree with your outrage totally. It sounds like things are getting as stupid in Spain as they are here in the U.S.

I've had bank transactions here, with accounts that I've had for several years, in which a hold has been put on them as if I was a drug dealer laundering money. But, I have to admit, because of the hassle of changing banks, and knowing that the policy will be the same no matter where I bank at, I still do business with the same bank.

Bottom line, these institutions, instead of sticking up for their customers, are just rolling over to government demands and sticking it to their customers. I find this mindset ubiquitous.

Gazpacho

#85626 - 10/30/09 07:56 AM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: gazpacho]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't find it so much intrusive as I do a pain in the arse. Anyone who has a telephone (landline) in Spain (or wherever, I think) has to identify themselves when contracting that line so I'm not sure how mobile phone numbers would be different. But I agree with your anger about how "they" change the rules in mid-game. That's not bloody fair!

Could you ask your wife to get a second (if she has a first) mobile phone in her name and then you could just use it yourself? They already have her name on record with the first mobile phone (again, assuming she has one - as nearly everyone in this country does) so why not a second? Maybe you could even transfer your existing number to that new phone.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85638 - 10/31/09 07:03 AM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: MadridMan]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

I understand if you have a landline, you are renting a service on a monthly basis into a fixed location and agreeing to pay a monthly rental, so the phone company can be expected to know where you live so they can chase you for the money and provide the service you request. But a pay as you go mobile is different, you pay over the odds for a cheap phone, and then pay in advance for the calls you make. The phone company doesn't need to know where or who you are.

Your suggestion actually highlights how ill thought out this law is. In theory, you could take my mobile into a shop, show your documents and then give it back to me, no problem. You might be in trouble if I then one day decided to use it as a detonator for an explosive, but the authorities would not have caught the criminal.

Anyway to get back to the real issue here, if anyone who visits Spain say bi-annually like for example my youngest daughter has one of these phone, and only turns it on when they are here, they would not know anything about this law. So next time they arrive, their phone will have been cut off and useless.

#85639 - 10/31/09 07:25 AM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: Jamongris]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
the excuse: organized crime and terrorism
order: control us all

#85649 - 11/04/09 02:33 PM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: jazz]
Jan D Offline

Loc: Isle of Wight UK
Eek !!! Help !!!

So when I come back out to Spain my Movistar sim won't work? Even though I've got around €10 credit on it !!!
Antonio is due to put €5 on the phone for me in March/April as in the past it must be topped up every 6 months. I then put some more on when I'm out in Spain Sept/Oct.
I assume there will be a way for me to get my money back or
Is there any way I can email them to sort this out?

Edited by Jan D (11/04/09 05:20 PM)
Edit Reason: sp.
() / ()

#85650 - 11/04/09 03:29 PM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: Jan D]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
lose if you do not identify, the line, the number and balance, last day, November 8

#85651 - 11/04/09 04:24 PM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: jazz]
Jan D Offline

How do I do this from UK ??

Or can I give someone in Spain the phone details and get them to register it? Bearing in mind the sim card is in the UK

Edited by Jan D (11/04/09 05:15 PM)
Edit Reason: added to
() / ()

#85652 - 11/05/09 01:25 AM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: Jan D]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

See this is exactly the sort of unfairness I was on about.

Jan D, I think you may be looking at losing it. I finally gave in and registered mine yesterday, I really do need it for work otherwise I was prepared to give it up. You have to show your ID and give them the Sim card. If you had someone here they could register it in their name, but they will need the sim card and phone number.

I believe with movistar there is a system of pre-registering until the 17th November, but the Sim card still has to be shown to them by then. I would check their web site and email them, but I fear you will lose your credit and have to buy a new sim.

#85653 - 11/05/09 05:02 AM Re: Pay as you go mobiles - identification law [Re: Jamongris]
Jan D Offline

I found a contact form on the movistar website ( not sure what department its going to, but worth a try.) I've stated the phone number and the numbers on the sim card.
When I bought it(maybe 3 years ago) I'm sure I had to fill in a form with my name and address details,so you'd think I would be covered.
() / ()

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2089 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments