Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65750 - 11/17/08 05:25 PM Organ donations
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Just a post before I go to bed ready for my return flight to Madrid .
I was watching a report on BBC news , and they , interestingly , highlighted Spain .
In the UK , if you die , doctors cannot use your internal organs unless you have signed an appoval agreement .
Apparently , Spain ( in my opinion VERY sensibly ) operates on a "presumed agreement" system , which means that your organs will be used to save others unless you have previously signed an objection .
I have to say that I agree totally with Spain on this ... I understand that there can be religious opposition but this has to be common sense .. right ?
What's the deal in USA ?
Steve

#65751 - 11/17/08 05:54 PM Re: Organ donations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't have any problem with Spain's philosophy on this matter. In the USA, like in the U.K. it seems, you have to ACCEPT the organ donation clause when registering or renewing a drivers license.

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. See you when you get back! Hope you have/had a event-less flight.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65752 - 11/18/08 12:29 AM Re: Organ donations
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

In the U.S., as far as I know, it's all voluntary, and the rules/laws depend on the state in which you live. In my state, you're asked when you renew your driver's license if you want to be an organ donor. I imagine that even if you do not have a driver's license (and you are an adult over 18 years of age), you can still sign up for the organ donation registry. The driver's license renewal is just an easy way to do it. And, I believe that unless it was expressly against your wishes, your spouse or other relative could agree to donate your organs even if you had never signed up for the registtry. For children under 18, it would be their parents who would make the decision about organ donation since they are minors. However, permission is needed from someone, whether it was your original approval or your family's approval.

As for "common sense," there are indeed some religions (and non-religious individuals with deeply held beliefs) who are against organ donation. Which religions and for what reasons I'm not certain, but that's why you "opt-in" in the United States. Again, a lot of this depends by state laws and initiatives.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2990 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments