Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63687 - 07/02/03 01:28 AM Madrid:First time and getting nervous
mariluna Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi. I will be arriving in Madrid July 15 and staying for a little over two weeks. I am traveling alone and I am starting to think I am crazy for doing this. I probably should have waited for a time when some friends could come with me. Anyway, I already have a ticket and everything so I guess I am going. I just started getting nervous yesterday trying to finally decide where to stay. I wanted to go for the cheapest places, but I definitely want to be safe as well. Actually, I have not spent much time at all in big cities and am very nervous about getting around and knowing how to be safe. If anyone has any advice for me, I would be grateful.

Oh, I do know Spanish, so I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

I have booked a few days in the International Hostel Posada de Huerta in which I will be in a shared room with four other women. Does anyone know anything about this place? It is located at Huertas 21. I am thinking of staying a while in Hostal Adriano for a week too. Even though it is more expensive, I thought it looked nice in the pictures and many of you gave it good reviews. I was worried about the area after reading someones review which stated that there were prostitutes hanging out on the same street. What do you think about the location? It is at Calle de la cruz 26.

One of the things I am most worried about is getting from the airport to the hostel. Should I use the metro, or what is the best way to travel with luggage?

I am also planning to go to Segovia and Toledo. How are these cities? Would it be better for me to try to go with some kind of tour group?

Sorry for so many questions, but maybe some of you more experienced travelers can help me be better prepared. Thank you! smile

#63688 - 07/02/03 02:23 AM Re: Madrid:First time and getting nervous
Miguelito Offline

Hello Mariluna. Huertas street is probably the one with most nightlife in Madrid, so it'll be safe because there'll be a lot of people. I hope that your room won't be noisy, probably not. Calle Cruz is also fine, I've never seen prostitutes in them, anyway, prostitutes are not dangerous, although you get that sensation when you see them in a street. This summer will be 700 more policemen in Madrid touristic areas, anyway keep always an eye on your belongings and your wallet and don't carry the money you won't need if it's not necessary.
Segovia and Toledo are fine also to visit by your own, very easy and worth.
please, don't be afraid, probably you'll relax when you arrive here and see how safe everything looks, but don't forget be carefull anyway, keep yor purse closed and under your arm so noone can put his hand inside and so on...

#63689 - 07/02/03 10:22 AM Re: Madrid:First time and getting nervous
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Hi Mariluna, I don't know the hostals of Madrid as I live here so don't get to try them but I agree with the previous comments about the area you are in.

I'm a Londoner myself and I have to say that Madrid is far safer than London, and you never feel intimidated, even at night and on the Metro. Yes there are pickpockets especially round the old town, but you name a major city which doesn't have this problem.

Which brings me to your second question. Take the metro if you can carry the bags. It's cheap, clean, safe and reliable (€5,20 for 10 journeys) but it does have stairs and changing lines can involve some walks so long you feel you are on the way to Santiago (ie Nuñez de Balboa). Failing that there is a discussion in the transport section about the airport buses.

Segovia and Toledo are both lovely and have good regular coach services. Make sure you try the pig if you go to Segovia (unless you're vegetarian). If you need any more info, feel free to email me.

#63690 - 07/02/03 02:45 PM Re: Madrid:First time and getting nervous
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Mariluna --

Don´t be overwhelmed by fear as it really is safe here. What may be new for you is the "big city, bright lights" exposure as you mentioned a lack of familiarity with big cities. Just keep your wits and common sense about you.. don´t leave your bags unattended anywhere. Carry your purse close to your body with the zipper/closure in front. When you stop to look at a map, duck into a bar or restaurant and do so over a clara (beer with gaseosa..like sprite), caña (straight beer), cortado (expresso with milk), café con leche or café con hielo.

When on the metro, be aware of your surroundings and those that shove and push.

With regards to getting to your hostal from the airport, I normally would agree that the metro is by far the cheapest way to get there. However, seeing that you are flying in from Texas (rather than London wink sorry jamongris), you will be suffering from some dreadful jet lag, and the last thing you are going to want to do is try and navegate through the airport to the metro with all of your luggage. If you can afford the "luxury" take a cab directly to your hostal. I believe it should be a flat rate of 25-30€ but am not certain. Perhaps another board member can clarify that.

When you go to Segovia, take the bus rather than the train. It will leave you in the center near the "tourist" district rather than on the outskirts of the town. In going to Toledo both the bus and train are equally nice rides. If you take the train, it has a beautiful train station and you have an awesome view of the city from the other side of the Tajo River. But then you also have a nice hike in the heat to get to any of the monuments. I believe the buses leave you inside the city walls.

I definitely agree with jamongris. You must try the cochinillo asado (roasted pig) in Segovia. In Toledo, try the sopa castellana and be sure to buy your marzipan there!

Happy travels!

#63691 - 07/03/03 01:56 AM Re: Madrid:First time and getting nervous
mariluna Offline

Loc: Texas
Thank you for your replies. I am feeling more relaxed now. I almost have a place to stay for my entire trip now.

#63692 - 07/03/03 04:07 AM Re: Madrid:First time and getting nervous
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I hear what you are saying chica about jet lag, also forgot to mention the walk to the metro at the airport is a good ten minutes.

I think a taxi may well cost up to 40€ and there is no set fee, just a notice recommending what it should cost, but if the driver wants to go to old Madrid via the motorway (Moncloa, Plaza España etc) then it will be up towards 40€. Also, if you do go for one from the airport make sure it is from the legitimate queue outside which you can't miss and don't accept the offer of a taxi from anyone inside the terminal. Finally make sure they turn their meter on when you set off.

Re Toledo, the bus terminal is at the bottom of the hill as well. I don't think there is any option but to brave the climb in the heat !

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1615 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments