Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63153 - 01/01/03 10:59 PM Olivenza Spanish or Portuguess
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
In case you haven't heard about this but Olivenza is a town or city near Portugal. That Protugal claims is illegal occupied by Spain but there is a problem in handing it back there are people living there that are Spanish and not Portuguess so Spain cant just hand it back I believe they sould have a vote there of the citizens to see which country they want to be a part of.

#63154 - 01/02/03 05:02 AM Re: Olivenza Spanish or Portuguess
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
As far as I know, the village is in the middle of the border so part of it is Spanish and part Portuguese. "Olivenzans" have never had any problem with that condition and they have even married among people of the other part. So I don't think there should be any vote if they are happy they way they are now.

#63155 - 01/02/03 07:06 AM Re: Olivenza Spanish or Portuguess
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have also heard of it, but more as a curiousity than of a problem. Antonio is right: half the village is in both countries, and their citizens are satisfied with that status because it makes the village a unique touristy place.

With the borders being diluted in Europe (and the olivenzans having no problem with borders for that reason), who cares whose the village?

Fernando

#63156 - 01/03/03 04:45 PM Re: Olivenza Spanish or Portuguess
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
last time I checked on a map the town of Olivenza was entirely in Spain and not on the border.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1622 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments