Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#62954 - 10/28/02 11:22 AM Recipe for Horchata
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Found it at Foodtv.com. Here's the recipe, with link below, for anyone ambitious enough to try making it from scratch.

1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups skinless almonds
1-inch piece cinnamon bark
8 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ice cubes
Wash and drain the rice. Using a spice grinder (an electric coffee grinder works well too), grind the rice until fine; combine with the almonds and cinnamon bark. Add 3 1/2 cups water and let sit overnight, covered. Blend rice mixture until smooth using a blender. Add 2 1/2 cups of water and continue blending. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Strain horchata into a bowl first using a metal strainer and then a double layer of cheesecloth; finish with up to an additional 2 cups of water until it achieves a milky consistency. Enjoy over ice.

Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 24 hours 15 minutes

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,15855,00.html

#62955 - 10/28/02 10:40 PM Re: Recipe for Horchata
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Ave Maria, jmcarr, all that work! laugh laugh I will buy mine from la Tienda! rolleyes Muchas Gracias for the recipe. smile

#62956 - 10/29/02 12:08 AM Re: Recipe for Horchata
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Be advised that the given recipe is not for spanish horchata. Although I enjoy the Mexican recipe, the Spanish drink is much better. laugh

The key ingredient is chufa which is an oval shape tuber. My bilingual dictionary calls it a "tiger nut", perhaps it has an additonal name, as I have never seen this tuber available in local markets.

I found this recipe Horchata . If you know anything about where to find tiger nuts in the US, let me know where laugh . I would die for a large glass of this authenic treasure from Valencia.

#62957 - 10/29/02 03:47 AM Re: Recipe for Horchata
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Shawn -- LA is a very ethnically mixed city... have you tried checking out any Meditteranean gourmet food stores or Middle Eastern food stores for the tiger nuts a.k.a. chufa? Let me know if you have any luck!

#62958 - 10/29/02 09:36 AM Re: Recipe for Horchata
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Shawn,

Thank you so much for the informative article and picture of a chufa. I agree the Horchata espanola is different from the Latin American Horchata. I believe this was discussed in another thread, and MM asked if they tasted the same. I am sorry I never got back to the thread because I tested both the Latin American Horchata and the Spanish chufa Horchata and there was a slight difference in taste. The Spanish had a tangier taste. Of course this may be because of my taste buds, everyone has different degrees of taste. Overall I prefer the Spanish Horchata, but I am grateful for any Horchata that I find at my supermarket!

#62959 - 10/29/02 10:23 AM Re: Recipe for Horchata
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Booklady,

That is indeed a great deal of work -- more than I am willing to put into horchata, which I like but do not love. I prefer La Casera on a hot day if I'm really thirsty. I'm so happy to have tienda.com.
laugh
jmc

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments