Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#61287 - 01/14/02 05:43 PM HELP!! Shipping painting from Madrid
Jill Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I was in Madrid last fall and left a somewhat large painting that I had bought in France with an acquaintance who was going to ship it to me in the US. Though the language barrier is great between he and I, I believe he tells me that he can't send it even through his business without going through a bunch of governmental red tape. He thinks the only way for me to get it is to come back and take it on the plane with me. Unfortunately, I can't just run back over and get it. Is this correct information? If so, are there any services that could have someone hand carry it on the plane and then ship it to me once in the US? It's all packaged up and bubble wrapped. Also, my company has an office in Madrid and I thought perhaps it could be shipped directly from their office to mine. Would that work? Any other suggestions??

#61288 - 01/14/02 06:08 PM Re: HELP!! Shipping painting from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jill in Cincinnati!!! (I'm in Columbus, Ohio - Hi neighbor!) Too bad you didn't tell me/us a couple weeks ago! I could have brought it back to Columbus with me on my return trip!

Not sure how you'll be able to ship the painting -- I'm sure your friend would go to great stress and expense to ship it, say, UPS, back to you.

Why not offer one of our local message board members who are going to Madrid someday soon a kind of "fee" for bringing it back for you! Assuming, of course, the frame isn't packed with illegal drugs, German Berabonds (major spelling error here, I'm sure!), or C-4 explosives. (sheesh! I'd better watch what I say here! Who knows what goverment spies are scanning the internet for this stuff these days!)

Try to see if your office can ship it to you directly. That might be the best/safest way. Plus, they could probably make it a business expense. wink

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61289 - 01/14/02 07:55 PM Re: HELP!! Shipping painting from Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
This is beginning to sound like an art heist movie, MadridMan! I think getting it shipped by the company is the best bet, though another (less expensive, but more challenging) possibility would be to get someone to hand carry it. If someone is willing to do that, though, they would have to open it all up, check it out, etc. in order to be able to answer the security questions at the airport truthfully.

Back in 1995, when things were less stressful, a friend of a friend gave my sister and me a bottle of Guinness to take home to another friend when we left Ireland. We got to the airport, not having given it another thought, and then had to say "yes" when asked whether we had any items that had been given to us to carry on the plane. Turns out the dumb Guinness bottle had a plastic insert in the neck to give the beer the right foamy head when it was poured. This gave the security people something to think about...and off they went with our Guinness to the x-ray machines. After a while, they came back and let us take it--but I would imagine they would be less trusting nowadays.

And to be perfectly honest, I would feel odd carrying a package back right now unless I had scrutinized it pretty carefully. Not to suggest that Jill or her acquaintance did anything to the package, because I am sure that isn't the case...but I know I would feel weird getting on a plane with something I hadn't packed myself. What a sad comment on our times (or on my neurotic tendencies)!

Tara frown

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1766 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments