Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51505 - 08/03/01 06:43 AM Sweaty Tacos
Christian Baker Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Has anyone noticed that all the Spanish people in the metro smell like sweaty tacos?

Just wanted to drop in a few words before I left Madrid for good.

I´m outa heeeere.

#51506 - 08/03/01 06:59 AM Re: Sweaty Tacos
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. eek That's a pretty rude statement if I've ever heard one. But isn't it more likely that it's the METRO that smells like sweaty tacos and not the PEOPLE themselves??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51507 - 08/03/01 08:15 AM Re: Sweaty Tacos
ElGato Offline

Since I've never seen a sweating taco, I'd find it difficult to say that. There's truth to the fact that people in different parts of the world, or even in different homes in a neighborhood, have their own distinct flavor, or odor. It's based on the fact that cooking in the home does tend to permeat clothing in closets, and we end up kind of smelling like what we eat... through our clothes.

I know our house has the distinct "flavor" of garlic in it, because we like garlic, and it's in a lot of our clothing, like it or not.

There's one benefit though... garlic coming out of our pores, and on our clothes, sure chases away the skeeters... laugh

Like my wife says; "Hey! If people don't like the way our home smells, they don't have to bother to stop by!"

El Gato (A Wolf in a cat skin coat... smile )

#51508 - 08/03/01 10:21 AM Re: Sweaty Tacos
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I am also somewhat puzzled by the concept of sweaty taco...and in my part of the world, almost all varieties of taco are readily available! The closest thing I can envision is a steamed taco (not that I've ever heard of such a thing!). Then I'd be picking up that tortilla scent of nixtamal with a dash of cal. Kind of homey smelling, along the lines of laundry hung outside to dry.

Sweat...yes, I suspect most people who find themselves squished into a small confined space with other similarly squished people in the summer will smell somewhat sweaty...though I have to say I make it a point NOT to sniff the people around me in such an environment, hoping they will follow the "do unto others" policy and not sniff me either!

Taco...interesting since that is really not a Spanish food! Are you noticing a bouquet of garlic, onions, and assorted spices like oregano and cumin...mmmmmmmmmm...with a touch of pico de gallo?

La maestra (who is now wondering how reheated tacos would be for breakie!)

#51509 - 08/03/01 10:42 AM Re: Sweaty Tacos
ElGato Offline

la maestra,

Actually tacos for breakfast are pretty good. While living in Texas, one of our favorite haunts on the way to work in the morning included picking up what they called breakfast tacos (soft shell), with eggs, mushrooms, sometimes potatoes, choices of ham, sausage, or bacon, and a bit of seasoned sauce. They would also add tomato, peppers, lettuce... anything you wanted! It was a great start to what usually promised to be another day of hard work. At least the day started great!

El Gato

#51510 - 08/03/01 12:27 PM Re: Sweaty Tacos
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
El Gato, I know a lot of places around here that serve breakfast tacos too...I'm just the Hausfrau type and do virtually all the cooking. Since I'm usually pressed for time in the morning, we don't do fancy stuff! The tacos you mentioned, though, sound pretty darned good!

I don't know about fish tacos. I think I'd have a rough time with those babies for breakfast...though you being ElGato and all, they might suit you just fine wink

I must say I am impressed by your knowledge of ethnic cuisine! You certainly are more than a mere connoisseur of fine coffee and blueberry pancakes!
smile

La maestra (who is now reminded of the blueberry muffins she promised to make for her son!)

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: la maestra ]

#51511 - 08/07/01 12:23 PM Re: Sweaty Tacos
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Could be that the 'hash bars' you asked about have altered your olfactory abilities... I'm sure the Atlanta metro is going to smell much better to you. MARTA on a hot, august day, yummmm.

#51512 - 08/09/01 08:35 PM Re: Sweaty Tacos
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
This whole aromatic thread had already been done, but I couldn't help but drop my jaw when I drove by the local McDonald's last night and saw the latest addition to their Southern California "Fiesta Menu":

The Sweaty McTaco. Mmmm...

#51513 - 08/09/01 10:02 PM Re: Sweaty Tacos
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

Now that scares the McJeebers out of me... laugh

A McTaco, along with a McCoke, with McFries, and a quick trip to McJohn after you're done eating that tasty fare... eek

McWolf (And I ain't even Scottish!)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2280 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments