Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51219 - 06/12/01 10:11 PM Language Difference?: Canary Islands & Spain
Curtis Offline

Loc: Florida
OK, I asked this on madridman.com's Lycos Talk Show : "What is the difference between the Spanish language in Spain and The Canary Islands?" I wanted to know this because a German friend of mine has lived there for few years, and said when sometimes they talk to each other, and they don't want anyone to know what they are saying, they speak in (what my friend says) "their own type of Spanish." I hope someone can answer this.

-Nuggito

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#51220 - 06/13/01 04:59 PM Re: Language Difference?: Canary Islands & Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Curtis! I'm somewhat surprised that you came and posted your question as I suggested, but good for you.

SURELY some of the Spaniards registered here know the answer to this question. IS there such a thing as a Canary Islands dialect?? Do they speak a different Spanish from mainland (let's say "castellano") Spanish?? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.

Saludos, MadridMan

(P.S. Curtis, the next UNofficial show is tonight at 7:45pm -- only a 30 minute show since the NBA basketball finals game #4 is at 9pm)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51221 - 06/13/01 05:05 PM Re: Language Difference?: Canary Islands & Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
They speak the same Spanish we speak in the rest of Spain. They have a different accent (similar to those speaked by people from South America) and a few different words.

Maybe your friend was refering to the fact that if they speak fast (Canarian / Andalucian accent is difficult to understand for a foreigner), using special words or even slang, you won't understand them. But I think that's all.

#51222 - 06/13/01 06:04 PM Re: Language Difference?: Canary Islands & Spain
victoria Offline

Loc: Canary Islands
I live in the Canaries and Antonio is right. Castellano is spoken here with some differences. Primarily, Canarians do not use the vosotros form-- it's strictly Ustedes. And, like all other comunidades, there are loads of Canarian words. The accent is different (just try and understand someone from Las Palmas or La Gomera-- Canarians even have difficulty understanding people from the other islands!)and Canarians pronounce the z's and c's like s'-- more like Latin Americans.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2187 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments