Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#57360 - 06/26/08 07:07 AM The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
For you guys coming to Spain , be prepared ! We are having incredibly hot weather in this country and specifically in Madrid .. The forecast is for pretty much 100 degrees from tomorrow , for at least 4 days and then not falling below 90 degrees for the foreseeable future ..... Be warned !

#57361 - 06/26/08 08:12 AM Re: The weather !
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Oh gawd. REALLY? 100ºF?! I always thought Brits used ºC. No? How hot is 100ºF in centigrade? Can't find my temperature converter anywhere.

But regardless, yes, it's HOT! I was able to survive yesterday without the air conditioning - and so far today too - but let's see about tomorrow.

Thank goodness "it's a dry heat"! hehehe... Which it is! I can't imagine what 100º must be like in Barcelona, Miami, or places like that with such horrible humidity. Actually, I can imagine it - it's similar in the USA's midwest where all that flooding took place along the Mississippi.

And thank goodness for fans and colllllld showers. I haven't taken a non-cold-shower for a week now - once in the morning and again at night just before going to bed so I don't stick to the sheets. Put the fan in the window and blow in the cool(er) air too. That helps a lot.

I won't even tell you what I'm wearing RIGHT NOW! Okay, I'll tell you. MY SLIPPERS!! (and the camera's turned off too)

Saludos, MadridMan cool

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57362 - 06/26/08 08:53 AM Re: The weather !
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
a quick and approximate conversion is times (or divide) by three then half the figure so 30 degrees times 3 = 90 plus half of 30 = 15 so its approx 105 easy eh?
very rarely do we need to go up so high rolleyes

and just to add to my theory its absolutley bouncing down here (that means raining)

#57363 - 06/26/08 10:19 AM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Ja Ja Ja .. you make laugh MM you and your slippers ! I'm just going out for a quick walk .. Past the Palacio de Deportes .. ( Juanes is in concert today ).. Most Spaniards will ,of course , be focusing on 20:45 tonight , and the football game against Russia ... Man I hope they win !!! Spain deserve this !

#57364 - 06/26/08 11:00 AM Re: The weather !
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi MM, I just discovered Yahoo! weather and they convert for you~
last week in So. Cal we had a horrible heat wave and in my suburb of San Diego, it was 106 degrees, I checked on Yahoo and it converted that to 41C. I think that is about right, cuz in Madrid, I am completely aware of what 35 + feels like over there.
Anyway, the weather in summer is the only thing I don't like about Madrid...yep, the ONLY thing, can't think of another thing to not like about Madrid! But that's a whole other topic...

#57365 - 06/26/08 01:23 PM Re: The weather !
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Good grief .. LaDuque , I totally agree .. I'm pretty good with the heat usually , but today , as an example , is unbearable .
I just took a walk to my absolute favourite place in Madrid , Parque de Retiro , and that 15 minute walk made me quite sick... The heat was intense ..Once in Retiro Park however I grabbed some ice water and just sat watching everybody on the Estanque ( lake ) . Lots of flesh on show jajaja .
People are camped outside Palacio de Deportes for the Juanes concert tonight ... I really wish i'd bought tickets .
Well i'm gonna stand under a cold shower .. I need to cool down !
C'mon Spain !!!

#57366 - 06/26/08 01:38 PM Re: The weather !
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I read somewhere recently that in ITALY in the summer, people would (probably not anymore) put buckets/pales/bowls of water under open windows in the house to cool off the house's interior. They said the incoming hot air would read the water and the evaporating water could actually cool the air. Hmmmm... Okay. I believe that, but seriously doubt the air would be cool(er) for more than a meter into the interior before it was warmed up again.

I can't imagine everyone at the Juanes concert tonight. Yikes. Surely they'll be using the air conditioning inside but still will likely be hot - but cooler than outside.

I'm already looking forward to my victory shower later tonight after the game and before going to bed. laugh

Sweating, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57367 - 06/27/08 04:51 AM Re: The weather !
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I'm with Laduque on the Madrid climate, although I'm not keen on it in winter either. It was only last week (16th) that it rained all day and I was out and about wearing a fleece. In winter I've seen more snow here than in London !

My solution, after three summers of suffering, was to move to the Sierra. I actually woke up cold this morning and had a warmish shower. But now I'm at work (obvisouly very busy too hence the post) in the centre regretting not choosing a white shirt.

#57368 - 06/27/08 05:47 AM Re: The weather !
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
MM writes:
Quote:
I read somewhere recently that in ITALY in the summer, people would (probably not anymore) put buckets/pales/bowls of water under open windows in the house to cool off the house's interior. They said the incoming hot air would read the water and the evaporating water could actually cool the air. Hmmmm... Okay. I believe that, but seriously doubt the air would be cool(er) for more than a meter into the interior before it was warmed up again
That's the same Physics used in what we used to call 'Swamp Coolers' in the Southwest U.S. Very dry desert air picks up moisture as it passes over water: that usually causes a few degree drop in the inside temperature; add the indoor shade, and it's more livable

40 Degrees Celsius seems to be a major milestone: ¡pero no ha llegado a cuarenta! is often heard among Madrileños.

C = 5/9 (F - 32) or F = 9/5 C +32

So 40 Celsius is 104 Farenheit.

Did I tell you I am a retired AF Meteorologist?

#57369 - 06/27/08 06:57 AM Re: The weather !
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Excuse my ignorance Eddie, what does AF stand for ?

Steve mentions in another post that perhaps he's getting old. I think he's probably right because while English people of our age tend to think in ºF, my daughters' generation think in ºC

I also used to think of petrol prices in gallons (imperial, not US) and now it's litres. Maybe one day we'll drive on the wrong side of the road too laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1765 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments