Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56036 - 07/07/05 07:41 PM Calling The US From Spain
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, so if not than I apologize now.

I had not considered this previously, but in light of what has occurred this morning in London, I have a new worry to contend with it seems. With the bombing that occurred in Madrid in March 2004, and this morning's bombing in London, my mother has confided to me that she is very afraid when I board the plane to go to Spain in September she will not see me again. She firmly believes something terrible will happen to me in Spain. She has also heard of the ETA bombings, so this also weighs on her mind. I've told her that we are planning on using public transporation minimally while in Spain - just the last few days around Madrid. (This is, in essence, a road trip) But this hasn't eased her mind.

So, my plan now is to leave her with a map of Spain with our route well marked on it. She will have a complete copy of our itinerary and where we will be staying. I am now resolved that at each stop, where possible, to send her an email to let her know that 1.) I am safe, and 2.) to share my trip with her. I think this will help her, but I thought I would also like to call her on occasion, perhaps on arrival and in the two or three places where I think internet cafes might be limited. I will not have my cell phone with me because it is something else I simply do not want to keep track of and be concerned about re-charging. I also do not want to call her collect. I'm thinking there must be phone cards to call the US from Spain? These must be universal by now, right? Can anyone tell me where they can be purchased? (I will be spending the first night in Madrid, actually right across from El Cortes Ingles) How much do they cost/how many minutes? Any other "tips" I should know?

Anyone know how to calm down an anxious mother? That would be nice! wink

Gracias!

#56037 - 07/07/05 09:39 PM Re: Calling The US From Spain
meencantaespana Offline

Hey I know how u feel. I am 16 and went by myself to Spain and I bought my calling cards at "el corte ingles" and they are called "fortune" they will have them i promise lol...but they are 20 euros and i got about 2 hours on it which is good...if not more than that...so fortune at corte ingles

#56038 - 07/08/05 01:56 AM Re: Calling The US From Spain
worriedaboutspain Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
hola, i was just in Madrid, and thereīs a little echnane place in Puerta del Sol, right across the street for the hudge billboard...Itīs litterly on the other side of the plaza. I brought a Spain-us phone card, itīs called Orbitel, Latina and itīs 6 euros, for like 2 hours or so.

hope that helps.

#56039 - 07/08/05 07:31 AM Re: Calling The US From Spain
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Most newstands and tobacco shops sell phone cards. I found that the best ones (best deals) were the offical Telefonica ones, though as the earlier posts indicate, there's a booming market in these by all sorts of companies. They're super-easy to use and quite economical--definitely the way to go and a great way to keep in close touch with family and friends in the US.

#56040 - 07/08/05 09:01 AM Re: Calling The US From Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
You should have no trouble calling with calling cards. Also look for "locutorios," places where they have a bunch of booths with a phone in each, and you can sit inside a booth and call for as long as you want, and you pay when you're done. The rates are very low (always ask first or check a price list, just in case, though I've always found them to be low)- well worth it, and, I think, more comfortable than using a phone booth or phone on the street. (I can't remember exactly, but I think the calls run about 10 minutes per euro - maybe someone there can confirm.)

#56041 - 07/08/05 09:32 AM Re: Calling The US From Spain
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Something else to think about...pay phones are very easy to use in Spain and have directions in like 5 languages if you need help.

It is a great way to get rid of all the spare change that is weighing you down!

Insert at least 1 Euro, dial, when the other party picks up you will see a display on the phone itself that will tell you how much money (credit) you have toward your call. If you see you are about to get to zero, insert another 10 cents, or wrap it up!

#56042 - 07/08/05 01:59 PM Re: Calling The US From Spain
Rubia Offline

I always buy the EuroCity card. It is 6 Euros for about 2.5-3 hours of calling to the US. The thing I like about this card is that you get the minutes it tells you, and don't get extra minutes taken out for connection fees or whatever (so if they don't pick up, you don't get charged minutes). Also it does not matter what time of day that you call. As people have said, you can also buy this card at any newstand or tabacco shop. Good luck (and tell your mom it is as save as the US:)

#56043 - 07/09/05 12:53 PM Re: Calling The US From Spain
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Wow! Thank you all so much for the quick responses! This thread is definitely one I will print out and take with me. I don't think I'll need much time - the 2.5 - 3 hours should be more than enough time. I would just want to check in at places where there might not be a convenient internet cafe to dash in and send off a quick email.

This is fabulous! Gracias todas!

#56044 - 07/14/05 01:14 PM Re: Calling The US From Spain
carolinaramon Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
If I may insert a comment if not too late...It's 2005...take a cell phone. Google on "rent international cell phone" and you will find many plans. Also they can be rented there...The last time I went I took a cell phone that works in Europe(they use different frequencies and you need a quad band phone) and dialing or receiving calls was just like calling across town. Don't try and negotiate the phone boxes...they are confusing.

#56045 - 07/14/05 05:16 PM Re: Calling The US From Spain
lindah Offline

Loc: Seattle
Regarding cell phones in Spain, I believe the "standard" gsm phones that they sell are dual band phones. However, if you want the phone to work in the U.S. (for our frequencies), it needs to be at least a tri-band phone. For more info about dual, tri, and quad band phones, check out this website .

Also, there's a topic in the Shopping folder regarding renting cell Phones...I posted some info on there that might be of help smile .

Edit: Actually, I had replied to a post regarding cell phone rentals, but it disappeared. Perhaps I posted something that I shouldn't have? If it doesn't reappear, I'll try to repost a condensed version of my previous post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2720 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments