Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55598 - 02/18/05 04:45 PM Valencia
jabch Offline

I'm a Mexican living in the U.S. where I work as an attorney. My wife cannot get used to the cold weather here and I'd like a change of life in the next few years. So I've been thinking about moving to Spain and opening one or two little businesses there. I've never been to Spain, but after some research Valencia seems like a good place to do so. What do you think about this area of Spain?

#55599 - 02/18/05 06:23 PM Re: Valencia
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
It sort of depends on what kind of business you're hoping to get into, I suppose, but Valencia (I assume you are talking about the capital) is one of the most dynamic cities in Spain. A good mix of the traditional and the very modern. I haven't been there for a few years, but I've heard nothing but raving reviews about the latest changes. The region as a whole is nice but be aware that you do have your fair share of tourism there. Thoughtless housing developments have ruined a lot of the coastal towns, but not all. On the other hand, the weather is generally friendly temperature-wise.

I think it could be a place worth looking into. It might also be worthwhile for you to come over a visit the region (and possibly others) to get a feel for yourselves. One of the greatest things about Spain is its enormous geographic diversity. Good luck.

#55600 - 02/20/05 08:02 AM Re: Valencia
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I think there is a lot of optimism in Valencia at the moment as there's going to be a prestige yaughting event take place (I think it's called the Americas Cup, but I'm not sure)

#55601 - 02/22/05 04:48 PM Re: Valencia
jabch Offline

Thank you so much for your replies!

#55602 - 02/22/05 08:51 PM Re: Valencia
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
Well, about the weather:

In Valencia (city), temperatures almost never fall under 0º (centigrades)even in the middle of winter: in my 31 years of life, maybe it happened 4 o 5 nights as long as I remember.

This year has been the first since I was a little kid in what I've seen some fountains freezed: it happened 2 or 3 nights this winter and everybody was amazed.

You'll probably never see snow in Valencia city in a whole life. This winter has been told as the worst in many years: no snow at all, only 2-3 nights the cold went under zero...and, as I said, this is very unusual.

The winter here is very gentle, but in the other hand you have certain humidity in winter. Not a big problem anyway: it's like any coastal city.

Very, very few raining days during the year. A big percentage of blue sky days, and, as I heard many people say, Valencia is a very luminous city (I think this is one of its biggest qualitys: it's really luminous).

Hot summer (july and first 1/2 august very hot). Gentle springs ans falls. You can usually go to beach from may to october and have fine weather to stay there even in some october mornings.

Just thinking in weather, I guess that Valencia has the weather you're looking for.

In other matters, Valencia is actually a growing and reasonably successful city. It is medium-sized compared to Madrid or Barcelona (Valencia and its urban area has a global population of about 1.400.000; 700-800.000 in the town center) and is the third city in Spain.

Not as cosmopolitan and culturally bustling as Madrid or Barcelona, but really a nice place to live (but I'm a valencian, so, what could I say?).

It may be a good choice, but I know that moving is never so easy.

If you eventually come, welcome and enjoy.

Anyway, good luck wherever you decide to go. smile

#55603 - 02/23/05 10:44 AM Re: Valencia
jabch Offline

Emilio:

Thank you so much for your message and thorough explanation about the weather in Valencia City. It sounds to me like a city with a very enjoyable weather all year round. That is fantastic! I’ve been living for three years in Kansas City, Missouri, where the average maximum temperature from November to February is 7.4 C/45 F, by far not the coldest city in the US, but one of the cloudiest during the winter. (Cielo gris y nublado todo el tiempo). So my wife has been experiencing for three years what they call “seasonal depression.” That's why weather plays such a big part in my decision to look for a new city.

Valencia City also seems to be about the right size, not too big or too small. So definitely I’m looking forward to visit Valencia and seriously consider moving there in a couple of years. I want to open a business there, probably in the wine-distribution area, but still not sure. My family was involved in the wine & spirits distribution business in Mexico for many years, but need to do more research about the market in Valencia.

By the way, all of my father’s relatives live in Galicia, but the weather seems to be a little bit better in Valencia. We will see. Gracias Emilio.

José Antonio

#55604 - 02/23/05 03:48 PM Re: Valencia
Emilio J Offline

I'm glad if I've been helpful.

If you wife suffers "seasonal depression" (as I kown related to lack of sunlight, isn't it?), Galicia is not a good idea at all. A lot of raining and cloudy days during the winter there. The galician landscape is really very, very beautiful (some places are simply esthetically awesome); but if you're looking for fine weather, forget about Galicia for living. Better look in Valencia or in regions like Andalucia, Islas Canarias, Murcia.

Something I found about Valencia, a 2003 weather information table:

http://www.valencia.es/ayuntamiento2/ndlaciudad.nsf/vdocumentosacc/Clima?opendocument

Un saludo.

#55605 - 02/23/05 04:48 PM Re: Valencia
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
jabch,

Emilo's last comments were oh so correct - Valencia and/or the southern part of Spain is the way to go if your wife hates the cold! I'm from Hawaii and ended up in Boston for 8 years - and the light deprivation is a very real thing. Moved to North Carolina 'cause I couldn't figure out how to move to Spain and make a living. rolleyes

It's great that you are understanding of the situation - way too many people think those of us that can't stand having 16 hours of darkness half the year are making it up.

Do some homework on what the rules, regs, and prerequisites are for you to practice in Spain -
Good luck!

#55606 - 02/23/05 07:12 PM Re: Valencia
jabch Offline

Emilio: Yes, it has to do with lack of sun light. Thanks for all your input. Any other comments that you may have about living in Valencia are welcome. Also, I am going to do some research on the other places you mention, but for now Valencia sounds like the best option for me.

Puna: My wife also came from a very warm/sunny place in Mexico called Monterrey. It is an industrial city of about 4 million people surrounded by mountains and with a very south Texas-type weather.

About practicing law in Spain, I'm not planning on it. I'm licensed in Mexico and the State of New York, but really want to do something different if a go to Spain. I feel like doing something that my wife can also be involved in. However, she might tell me: Are you crazy? Working in sunny Valencia, you work, I enjoy! smile

#55607 - 02/28/05 02:22 AM Re: Valencia
Emilio J Offline

Oh, I'll be glad trying to answer any question that you may have and that I have the knowledge.

Here or in the spanish board section, since we are both Spanish speakers and my English is obviously poor! Pero como prefieras.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1567 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments