Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#54735 - 05/08/04 08:35 PM About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
Miguel Angel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello, I am a native from Madrid and I found out this site looking for other thing, but I felt interested and logged in. Since this forum is viewed by many foreign people interested in Spain, I wanted to make some points here about some 'topics' the foreign people have about the spanish and their apparent 'unability' to speak english

- First of all, most of foreign people who visits Spain claims that 'Spanish don't speak english'. Well, that's not true. Most of young people working on shops and bars are able to speak a little english, and there are plans to make basic education bilingual in next years. What you should think about this is that Spain is not like The Netherlands, a small country whose language is only spoken by the 15 millions of dutch. Our language is spoken widely around the world, and we feel very proud of it. And one think we can't bear is someone speaks to us directly in english without asking first: 'Excuse me, DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?' We feel quite offended with this, thinking 'Why this guy is so unrespectful to me?' Just think if you're working in your town, in a shop or any other public place, and there I go telling you (in spanish) 'OYE, DAME ESA CAMISA' ('Listen, give me that shirt') What would you think? maybe 'what the hell is this stupid guy telling me? doesn't he know we here SPEAK ENGLISH?' Well, that's just the same for us. Pride is everywhere, not only in your countries. So what I'm asking you is please don't think spanish are unrespectful to you, is you what is been unrespectful to us. WE are in OUR country, and is YOU who has to think: 'this people MAYBE don't speak my language, MAYBE I have to ask first' But if you remember to ask 'Excuse me, do you...' everything will be easier. Next time I go to London (end of May) I'll ask everything in spanish, I'll claim 'Why there is not indications in spanish?' and when some guy look at me weirdly when I talk to him in spanish without asking him if he speaks it before, I'll think: 'Why this silly guy don't understand me?' Looking silly me? That's what you look like when you do it here. Don't be silly. cool

#54736 - 05/08/04 08:59 PM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Miguel Angel and welcome to our forum.

Thank you very very much for your comments. And it's true, we all must be aware and respectful of those living in the country we're visiting and do our best to communicate with them in their own language - to at least speak a few simple words.

Very sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54737 - 05/08/04 11:11 PM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Miguel Angel-

One time I was in a Chinese restaurant in upstate New York with a friend. We had had a very hard day and decided to treat ourselves well...within the bounds of a very, very limited budget...we were grad students. Anyway, we were in a silly mood and decided to speak to our waiter in Spanish, assuming that he didn't understand a word we said. He was a chinese-looking gentleman. We didn't care if he understood or not. We just wanted to speak to someone in Spanish. Well, to make a very long and embarassing (for my friend and myself) story short, this gentleman was a Chinese/Cuban. He spoke, obviously, Spanish fluently.

We learned an incredible cultural item: there was a very large Chinese population in Cuba that entered the island at the end of the XVIII century. By the way, in the Caribbean many islanders refer to oranges as "chinos". Now I know why.

As to Americans not speaking other languages. Well, as a professor of Spanish and Italian let me explain a few things. Most do not realize that they are being rude when they speak to you in English...they assume that you know their language. Too many people in their lives have instructed them, incorrectly, that the whole world speaks English. They see it on the news, they hear it from their family and their friends. I have tried to explain to them that, in fact, that is not the norm. But, I'm only a professor of languages and have traveled abroad...so, what do I know? (according to them)

Many of my students know how to say a few words in Spanish...and would like to know and learn more. But, unfortunately they started their language education at a late age and it proves to be too difficult for them. The earlier you start, the better. Commencing at 18-22 is, frankly, very late.

Add to that scenario...here in the States, although Spanish is spoken by many (the Northeast has a large Puerto Rican, Dominican and even Cuban base; the Southeast is dominated by Cubans; and the Southwest, largely Mexican with a large number from Central America), "spanglish" is spoken by the 2nd generation. And it is "spanglish" that infiltrates a great deal in the students acquisition of language.

One thing though: traditionally, when Americans speak to foreigners, rather than speaking slower to them, they have the tendency to yell. For some reason they mistakenly believe that the non-American may be deaf.

Para terminar...ten paciencia.

Sheryl

#54738 - 05/09/04 05:41 AM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hello Miguel,
Although my id is filbert, my name is Mark. I came across a Miguel Angel during my time in Madrid (actually I was teaching in Somosaguas). It isn't you by any chance is it?
I agree entirely with your message. In fact the people who tend to be the worst in Europe at learning another language are the British. It surely wouldn't be too hard for each person to learn 'Hola ? habla ingles?' before they buy things in a shop in Spain. I think though that things have been made too easy for them in many tourist areas where English is the standard back-up language. As mentioned in a previous post the Brits then assume everyone can and will speak English.

#54739 - 05/09/04 10:58 AM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I know that the British are pretty bad at speaking other languages but instead of putting it all down to wilful ignorance, I think a part of it is due to the fear of sounding 'funny' or making a fool of themselves when speaking a foreign language.

#54740 - 05/09/04 11:40 PM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
Hi Miguel. That was a good point you raised and I will remember that when I visit Spain in the future. However, I think not all foreign people are being disrespectful to spaniards when they speak to you in english without asking first because we all know english is a universal language and therefore they assume that there is a good chance of being understood that way.
Like Filbert, I came accross a Miguel,also from Madrid, who was holidaying here nearly a year ago. This man approached me and I think he said something in spanish. When I said 'I beg your pardon', he then spoke in english and he said 'you look spanish'. Though that was a good excuse, I didn't find it offending or disrespectful that he spoke to me first in spanish without asking first if I speak spanish. smile

#54741 - 05/10/04 12:05 PM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
Along the same lines with this topic, it bothers me that when I am in Spain, there are many people who will speak to me in English without asking first if I speak Spanish. I understand that they recognize me as an English speaker and just want to be understood, but I speak Spanish and prefer to speak Spanish in Spain. If we could not understand each other after attempting to speak in Spanish, I could understand a bit more, but it just irks me a little bit that they assume that since I am a native English speaker I cannot speak Spanish.

#54742 - 09/01/04 04:59 AM Re: About topics of Spain when it comes to english language
Zuzie Offline

New line for this discussion.
What it really bothers me as a Spanish is when I travel to Balear Islands o Canary Islands and I feel like in a foreign country. I can't nether ask in a restaurant in Spanish because they just speak in English! I understand there's a lot of British tourism there but they are in Spain. I think that's really unrespectful that in your own country you are not understood in your own language and if you want to ask for something you have to use "body language" to get been understood.
That's unrespectful.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2375 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments