Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52387 - 05/23/02 01:04 PM why is the spanish sky so blue?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

this may sound like a stupid rather scientific like question,but since it is spain related why not right. :p smile there is an exception to this because while in madrid and alcala de henares the sunny sky did look quite amazingly blue to what im used to here in new york in the northern provinces on the rare ALL sunny days i never really saw this phenomenom.does anybody have any suggestions on why the spanish sky is so blue and why is never is in new york. oh and i heard madrid is more polluted these days but i still see this phenomenom.any ideas?

#52388 - 05/24/02 07:09 PM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
where are you from, fmiketheman?

the reason i ask is that you can also see a beautiful blue 'spanish' sky in the southwestern US (and you can probably see it in other parts of the world as well...), especially arizona.

i guess it's so blue because of sequia/dryness... and when you do see clouds they are generally fat and well-defined. i think much of the meseta (central arid spain) has skies like this.

*BUT*, madrid from a distance = yellow/green hazy sky - on the right day!!

#52389 - 05/24/02 07:22 PM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
real_megia!! Welcome back! We've missed you! Other than your one posting last month it's been ONE YEAR since your last posting! We're glad to see you.

I think you've hit on something. I too assumed the skies in/around Madrid were so blue because it sits atop a high meseta and is relatively high altitude. I don't recall its elevation right now, but that being the case AND being in a semi-arid climate would probably explain most of it.

This is something my madrileña ladyfriend always commented on.. that she missed her clear, blue-blue sky when visiting me here in Columbus, Ohio. She's ONLY seen similar skies during her two recent years in Albuquerque, New Mexico.... I can see a lot of similarities, can't you?

Aaaahh.. those Velázquez skies... ahhhhh...
(we're far from those here in Columbus these days.. rain rain and more rain.. rolleyes )
Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#52390 - 05/24/02 07:34 PM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
megia Offline

wow! thanks for the hearty welcome-back!

i've been *SO* busy this last year that i can't even believe i remembered my password!

it's nice to be back and i look forward to posting regularly again.

my wife and i are getting ready for a trip to Spain and i am getting *AMPED* up for the trip!!!

i hope all is cool for the 'regulars!' see you around!

andrew

#52391 - 05/26/02 08:20 AM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

real megia and madridman

thank you both for the great replies.oh and i am from new york from queens.that ones for real megia. wink

#52392 - 06/02/02 07:37 PM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I, too, have always marvelled at the blue skies of Spain. I can remember one day in Toledo in paticular--the sky was SO amazingly blue it took my breath away.

There's an essay by a liberal writer from the interwar period, Josephine Herbst, called "The Starched Blue Sky of Spain"--something about that title rings so true--it captures the essence of what everyone's been describing.

#52393 - 06/03/02 05:34 PM Re: why is the spanish sky so blue?
megia Offline

rolleyes he he... duh...

i realized where you were from shortly after i posted because the message boad now has that feature... what a cool message board!

andrew
:wq

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1877 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments