Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51576 - 10/04/01 06:17 AM spanish tourist industry hurt?
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
Would I be right in saying that the souvenir shops in Spain will suffer because of the World Trade Centre Bombing? why? because when I went to Madrid in July I bought what some spanish friends of mine said to be "typical souvenirs of Spain" - the sword. It was 3,500pta , same size as a real sword but I would think if I was to buy another when i go to Madrid in Nov i would not be left on the plane with it, it would be seen as a danergous weapon, how will souvenir shops do there buisness now? I heard you cant bring a mens razor on a plane.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#51577 - 10/04/01 06:45 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Rafael Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
I think you can put it in your suitcase.
what they are worried is that passengers carry dangerous things to their seats.
and as suitcases or big packages are storaged in a different compartment of the plane there won't be a problem.

Rafael

#51578 - 10/04/01 10:33 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm sure Rafael is correct. You can "check" a lot of different things in the luggage compartment, but you just can't take anything considered "dangerous" on the plane with you.

I think the tourism trade in Spain (and in most of the world) will be hurt for the next several months because of the fewer numbers of people traveling by plane. Sadly, I have heard from a few hostel owners telling stories of mass cancellations for rooms. Sad. Very sad. For many, tourism income is the ONLY income people have in Spain. frown

I'll take my chances, however. If my "request for leave" gets approved, I'll be on a plane to Madrid for the Christmas/New Years holiday!!!!! cool Threat or no threat, NO ONE is going to keep me from visiting my beloved Spain. mad

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51579 - 10/04/01 11:20 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM - I'll post this in the proper place but wanted to let you know that, unless you already have your ticket, Delta and American are running deals - $311 Boston-MNadrid R/T throu end of Feb. '02. eek

#51580 - 10/04/01 01:04 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Puna, thanks for the info. I've already followed up on your posting in the "Transportation" forum. Unfortunately, I would fly during their blackout dates. NOW, my regular ticket has gone UP in price by $300 since last week - now it's $1,150!! OUCH! I might not go at all at this rate.

Regarding the tourism indurstry of Spain being hurt, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shops would decide to shut down for the month of November (slower month) in preparation for the bigger Christmas season. We'll see what happens. I'm HOPING the airlines will impose INCENTIVES (i.e. LOWER PRICES!! ANYONE OUT THERE LISTENING??!!) to get people on airplanes for the holidays and spend our tourism dollars in Spain.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51581 - 10/05/01 06:15 AM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Years ago (1992) I brought back a Cristobal Colón 500th aniversary commemorative sword. They wouldn't allow me to carry it on then so I just checked it - no problem.

I just got back from Ireland (my overseas trips alternate between Spain & Ireland - in June I did both on one crossing). Tourism is taking a major 'hit' in Europe. Hotels, B&B's and airlines have all been affected a whole lot by the Sept 11 events. It looked to me that airline 'loading' is increasing a bit now for the TransAtlantic carriers. It may be just because they are slashing fares just to fill seats.

September is usually a big month for tourism in most parts of Europe: not this year!

mad

#51582 - 10/06/01 05:51 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Tia Offline

The European airport staff follows the safety instructions to a tee, that´s for sure. I got back from a trip to Italy a fortnight previously and experienced a great difference in the control measures. I had my nail-scissors in the handbag and was told (at the Swedish airport) to either check them in or throw them away. Prefer flying safe, of course, so I didn´t mind it at all.

#51583 - 10/08/01 02:58 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[copied from the What's New? portion of the Tourist Office of Spain website]

OFICINA ESPAÑOLA DE TURISMO
-----------------------------------
TOURIST OFFICE OF SPAIN
666 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10103

SPAIN SURPRISED, DISMAYED BY ASTA’S DECISION TO CANCEL 2001 CONGRESS

New York, September 26, 2001…. The Tourist Office of Spain announced today that it was shocked to learn from a report in a U.S. travel trade publication that the American Society of Travel Agents has negotiated to cancel its plans to hold its 2001 Congress in Seville. According to the report in Travel Agent Magazine, ASTA will now hold its Convention in New York City.

“We are dismayed, as should the entire travel industry be, that an organization which was once considered a pacesetter for international travel has chosen to give the message that international travel is no longer safe”, said Alvaro Renedo, Director of the Tourist Office of Spain in New York.

Spain’s tourism authorities met with the Chairman of the ASTA Convention, Ralph Ferrara, in Madrid on September 12, and were assured that the Congress would proceed as planned. Surprised by the announcement in the press, Mr. Renedo feels that ASTA’s decision to renege on that commitment is unconscionable. “It has hurt Spain - it has hurt the entire travel industry and specially travel agents who make a living from promoting international travel” he said. “Nonetheless, Spain continues to support President George Bush in the United States’ commitment to show its strength by returning to normalcy, and that includes the freedom of travel”, Renedo said. “In that regard, Spain will continue supporting more than ever American travel agents and tour operators”.

-end-

#51584 - 10/08/01 04:57 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
MadridMan,

I totally understand why they did it. Even though ASTA is saying travel is safe, it's their membership that counts. If they saw a 30% to 40% fall off in attendance it would have sent a worse message to the world, and Americans.

At this point, people are listening to the State Department's warning that Americans should either not travel to foreign nations, or should keep a low profile while they are there. Why should ASTA do differently?

There's always next year or the year after, when they can meet in Seville.

Wolf

#51585 - 10/08/01 05:13 PM Re: spanish tourist industry hurt?
Pookita Offline

Loc: FL, USA
I feel badly that ASTA has cancelled the Congress is Seville, but on the other hand I can appreciate and respect the decision. I too changed my plans to travel to Spain for my own reasons not completely based on danger. I'm sure ASTA has their reasons as well.

And, personally, I found Bin Laden's reference to not wanting another Andalusia to be chilling. Maybe the majority of ASTA members had the same reaction? Not fair, I know, but either are alot of things in the world right now. (And, go easy on me, I'm dealing with the anthrax thing down here - eek )

Pookita

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1886 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments