Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51023 - 04/12/01 12:24 PM Cellular phones in Spain...
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My parents bought a cell phone in Spain and since I'm going to be traveling solo, they want me to have the cell phone with me so they can contact me on a regular basis. My question is - are there area restricitions for cellphones in Spain? For example, if my parents bought a cell phone in Galicia, would I be able to travel all over Spain and still get reception and be able to use it? I ask only because my cell phone here at home only works within the area where I live, not all across Canada - I would have to pay extra for that service! rolleyes

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

SusiLaGallega

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: SusiLaGallega ]

#51024 - 04/12/01 12:39 PM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi SusiLaGallega! I think you'll find LOTS of cell-phone info in either the PACKING or SHOPPING forums. Do a search using CELL PHONE as your keywords and you'll find those threads about buying cell phones there and taking your own. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51025 - 04/12/01 02:37 PM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Susi,

I know at least one cell service allows for total roaming throughout Spain, as local. But that's for incoming calls, and you don't get charged for any time on them.

Of course, if you use it to make a call, you better have an ATM card issued by Fort Knox, because you're going to use up the entire US national gold reserve in five minutes.

Now... I don't know the name of that service, but I believe our Spanish friends can tell you who offers it.

Rumor has it they were giving the phones away at one time. If you went into a grocery store, they'd give you a phone if you made a purchase.

Can you picture that in the US? Go into a 7-11, buy a seven course dinner (twinkie & a six pack of beer), and they give you a freebie phone. All you have to do is buy outgoing time.... in minimal amounts.

Wolf laugh

#51026 - 04/12/01 07:46 PM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Wolf,

I'm afraid this is not true anymore. Phone companies used to subsidise cell phones so as to get more and more customers.

Now that nearly 70% of the population in Spain have a cell phone (there are even more cell phones than landlines), they have decided to stop this policy. That is, cell phones prices are rising (and not only in Spain).

---

As for roaming, you can use phones from any of the 3 companies anywhere in Spain. There are dozens of different rates and you'll have to look into it before deciding which to choose.

Regards,

Antonio

#51027 - 04/12/01 08:09 PM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
connie Offline

They still sell them cheaper than elsewhere in the world. I had to get a new one when I was in Madrid last month, and the best offers I saw were 12.000 ptas (phone with prepaid calling cards) with 7.000 in calls. Worse than the offers before, but still not that bad, particularly considering that unlike in the US, you do not get charged for incoming calls, and you do not have to recharge for many months. Conditions in the US are much worse.
But of course, they know how to get you-once you have the phone available, you are very likely to use it to make calls yourself, too, and not just receive them, and then it gets rather expensive pretty soon.

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: connie ]

#51028 - 04/13/01 08:12 AM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Do you get charged for incoming calls in the US? eek

Here in Spain, you can use your cell phone everywhere and you don't pay for the calls you get. You just pay for the ones you make. There is no area restrictions and any of the 3 phone companies offer their services in the whole country.

However, if you visit another country (eg. Portugal) and you make use of the roaming service you'll be charged for the incoming calls. Therefore, if someone calls you from Spain and you are in Portugal, the caller will be charged a cell phone call and the receiver will be charged for the difference between that and the price of an international call.

#51029 - 04/13/01 08:59 AM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Antonio,

There aren't too many decent calling plans here in the States. They charge time for both incoming, and outgoing calls.

If you want to waste a few hours, check out US sites on the Internet related to cellular service in the US. It's a joke.

When you go to the stores that sell cellular service, and finally get a clerk to quit talking long enough to ask them questions, all you get is a dumb look on their face. You can tell right away that their lights are on, but nobody's at home.

Adding to the turmoil, they change the plans about as often as they change their underwear. I guess that's where we get the idea that most of our plans actually stink rolleyes

Now they are talking about giving us International roaming privileges. Sounds good on the outside, but for some reason I have the impression that little gem will cost us about $2 a minute, in or out on calls. Even though they may claim the calls going out are "local" here in the States, my guess is they will charge us long distance to get connected to our local service.

Oh well! frown

Wolf

#51030 - 04/13/01 11:58 AM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
connie Offline

Yes, Antonio, this US system of charging for incoming calls is crazy, isn't it? Wolf depicts the situation accurately wink
I think in no European country they charge you for incoming calls unless you leave the country you have the cell phone connection with.

#51031 - 04/18/01 08:34 AM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your informative replies!!! Now I know that if my parents or friends want to contact me, I don't have to pay for the incoming call! That's a refreshing change from my cell phone use here - my bills are sometimes unbelievable - I really don't know where the heck I use all my minutes!!! eek

SusiLaGallega laugh

#51032 - 04/18/01 03:35 PM Re: Cellular phones in Spain...
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Susi,

A cheap option is also to send SMS (Short Message Service) through which you can send messages up to 160 characters from one cell phone to another for 25 pesetas each.

Also, you can send them for free from many websites on the internet.

Regards,

Antonio

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1612 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments