Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50354 - 11/09/00 02:13 PM Gifts to Lady of the House
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I will be visiting my daughter who is doing a semester of study in Madrid. Originally, I plan to stay at a hostel during my visit. My daughter informed me that the Lady of the House where is staying insisted that I stay at her house during my visit. I would like to show my appreciation to the Lady of the House. What is the best way? Should I buy her something or give cash?

#50355 - 11/09/00 02:30 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Delicate situation. You shouldn't ever GIVE cash, but you should find out, since your daughter is probably paying room and board to this lady of the house, whether she expects you to pay, too (it would make sense). Your daughter should just ask her right up front: since I pay room and board, my mother will too, right? And see what happens. If you pay her room and board, then all you have to do is bring a small gift of the household/personal type to say thanks. If you are NOT paying, it is a whole different matter. Taking her out to eat at a nice place would be good. Bringing more substantial gifts, ditto. If you will be eating there and not paying, bringing home a wine, stuff from the pastery shop, good cheeses, etc all will contribute. Hope your daughter can find out... and do tell us!

#50356 - 11/09/00 03:32 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
rgf,
Thanks for the reply. My daughter asked about payment and she insisted that I stay and not worry about payment. It is a very delicate situation since the lady of the house, according to my daughter is well-off and has a maid. My daughter told me she really does not know what I could give her as a token from the U.S. Any suggestions what to give the lady of the house who is well-off? I was thinking of giving her souvenirs from Washtington, D.c. since I live in norther Virgia. What do you think?

#50357 - 11/09/00 03:40 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
What about a nice coffee table book?(either about the East, or the US in general) Books are sooo expensive in Spain, so something like this might be appreciated.

#50358 - 11/09/00 04:15 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi mclarke!! Read through the " gifts " thread in the "Packing" forum for some other ideas.

I agree with the above replies. Taking her out to a nice dinner would be a nice gesture and/or offering/taking a GOOD pastry is ALWAYS welcome. Please don't "Be An 'American'" and start peeling off the $20 US bills with a pompous look on your face and say (in English), "Okay. What's it gonna take, sister?" hehehehee... Well.. this might be okay if you were a rich Texan oil baron wearing a 10-gallon hat and perfectly polished pointed snakeskin cowboy boots (if you can really polish those things).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#50359 - 11/09/00 07:40 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
It's been my experience that flowers are the traditional gift to one's hostess. I've never seen them refused.
Cantabene

#50360 - 11/09/00 10:10 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
rgf Offline
Executive Member

OK, let's see. I think a coffee book is iffy== what topic? I'd go a multiple route. Flowers, good pastery stuff (cakes, expensive chocolate), a dinner out, and gifts. What kind? well, find out if she wears nice jewelry. If she likes scarves. I think stuff from the met museum is great. http://www.metmuseum.org Especially, the household objects, scarves, pins, etc. No trinkets or souvenirs! YOur daughter has to have a clue as to what kinds of things she'd like. Anyway, this sounds like a FUN adventure

#50361 - 11/11/00 11:05 PM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
Wendy E Offline

When I spent a semester abroad, our program facilitator (a man from San Sebastian) suggested that we bring gifts with us while we settled in. He suggested:
-See's chocolates (apparently his mom liked them quite a bit)
-California wine
-coffee table/photo book of our own area (DC book would be perfect)

One of the above, plus a nice dinner out should suffice.

Good luck!

#50362 - 11/12/00 02:02 AM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I seem to be having the same dilemma, but the gifts are for my in-laws. What can I bring over that won't be blatently compared to Spanish goods. It seems that all my attempts in the past have been in vain. Mi esposo is no help either. Anymore input would be greatly appreciated!

#50363 - 11/12/00 08:53 AM Re: Gifts to Lady of the House
rgf Offline
Executive Member

In the "old days" when the U.S. was the soruce for all desired commodities, it was easy! You got Levi jeans for the teens, electronic stuff.... but now, Spain has everything and more, and at good prices. So... you get thoughtful things they can't get there, or, you go the sentimental route with the in-laws. You make a lovely photo album for them. Are there grandkids? Pictures of them, drawings framed that say "to abuelo" and stuff like that. Otherwise, a nice gift of the sort I suggested from the Metropolitan musuem or other musuem shops are usually unique and welcome. Spanish people love giving good picture frames, so that, with the right pic in it, sounds right. Women LOVE expensive soaps and lotions, too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments