Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#57543 - 11/04/08 01:16 PM Voting from Spain
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Without getting into a political discussion - I was just wondering how the voting process worked from abroad for my compatriots in Spain. Was it an easy process? Did you vote weeks ago? Did most of you vote?

#57544 - 11/04/08 04:23 PM Re: Voting from Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yes, we United Statesens can vote from abroad (nearly) anywhere in the world, including from Spain. http://www.votefromabroad.org/

The receipt of an Absentee Ballot depends on when you register. I registered on the LAST day of registration (for those living abroad) for my state and received it about 3 weeks later (about 2 weeks ago now).

I FIRST went online to register from abroad but the "virtual paperwork" was overwhelming for me so I went to a registration location here in Madrid and they largely did it for me except for me writing in my USA-based address and showing my US drivers license.

My absentee ballot arrived here in Spain about 3 weeks ago - WHILE I WAS IN THE UNITED STATES visiting family. UGH! rolleyes What timing. So someone mailed it to me there and that's where I voted, right there at the post office where I picked up my registered letter and then mailed to to my local district.

Now that the voting, for me, is done I can sit back and watch the results on CNN International - which is what I plan to do all night long. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57545 - 11/05/08 07:50 AM Re: Voting from Spain
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Did you stay up and see all the returns, it was wild here in the US.....and actually all over the world...
Have a good day!

#57546 - 11/05/08 09:28 AM Re: Voting from Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
At home last night I kept switching channels to the Televisión Española. It was amazing to see how the election was being covered as if it were an election in Spain!

Today in my class on Contemporary Spain, the first thing I did was show them the headlines from El mundo covering the election and then I showed them the video of Zapatero speaking about the relationship between Spain and the USA . It was a great class, and the students were energized. I brought in Sidra Asturiana (sin alcohol) to celebrate and I also made a tortilla española too!

#57547 - 11/05/08 10:56 AM Re: Voting from Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

It was a LONG LONG @ss night. An emotional one. A historic one, without a doubt. Spain, France, and nearly every other European news outlet was covering the election LIVE on TV. It was truly incredible. I wondered, however, HOW MANY SPANIARDS actually stayed up all night to watch it. I doubt many did.

http://madridman.com/blog-madrid/2008/11/barack-obama-americas-fresh-prince-of-washington-dc.html

Quote:

"America's Fresh Prince of Washington D.C." © by Martin Media, S.L, ( 5 November 2008)

What does this posting have to do with Spain? Answer: A LOT!

I woke up today at 3pm after staying up ALL NIGHT, until 8am, watching the Presidential Election coverage over a myriad of USA, Spanish, British, and several other international television stations.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#57548 - 11/05/08 07:45 PM Re: Voting from Spain
Kipper Offline

Great Photo.....Thanks for sharing.....now get some rest...maybe we can all meet up when I'm in Madrid in December, from the 4th thru the 14th.....

#57549 - 11/06/08 06:44 PM Re: Voting from Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I did get some rest but spent most of the following day watching yet MORE television coverage and probably watched THIS ABCTV.es VIDEO another 50 times.

#57550 - 11/06/08 10:40 PM Re: Voting from Spain
Kipper Offline

Thanks for this, it was great...I can see why you've seen it so many time....

#57551 - 11/06/08 11:39 PM Re: Voting from Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Oh happy day!
Thanks for sharing the video MM, I want to share it with my friends!
Change is gonna come!@!!!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1883 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments