Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#56468 - 02/01/06 06:44 PM Gitanos in Spain
vhitney Offline

Loc: USA
Traveling to Sevilla in March and I am trying to get information on the Gitanos (gypsies)..any suggestions?

#56469 - 02/01/06 07:04 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Have you tried a search using the word "gypsies" in this forum? There is a lot of information on them in earlier threads.

#56470 - 02/02/06 04:13 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
edel Offline

Loc: Almeria/Dublin
i am the only foregin person living in a barrio gitano in almeria! they are great people where we live and have been very kind and helpful since we moved in. I have lived in many other parts of spain and could not leave my door open at night but can do here with no problems. What is it that you would like to know baout the people?? We have a great fiesta here in the barrio in june and the music is the most amazing flamanco that you will ever hear. i can not speak for everybodies experience with the gitanos but ours has been great. We took a chance by buying the house in the barrio but we have been accepted here more than we had in the past in other towns, but i think it maybe because we both made a huge effort when we moved in last june.

#56471 - 02/02/06 08:17 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
There's a good film that came out a few years ago, by a French film maker, about gypsies in Seville and the "Tres Mil Viviendas", the somewhat ghetto like neighborhood where many Seville gypsies were relocated to once Triana began gentrifying. The film is called "Poligono Sur" and narrates an interesting story about gitanos, flamenco, and the gitano outlook on life, among other things.

The Centro Andaluz de Flamenco in Jerez de la Frontera, about an hour south, has a sizeable library containing material dedicated to Flamenco art and naturally, the gypsies clans that helped to shape it. Not sure if this is the angle you were looking for but obviously Flamenco and gypsies are very closely tied together.

#56472 - 02/03/06 04:20 AM Re: Gitanos in Spain
edel Offline

I have just looked at the webpage for the movie. It looks interesting but can not buy it directly online i just searched amazon but can not find it. Does anybody know another good movie site to buy spanish dvd?

#56473 - 02/03/06 01:07 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Edel
El Corte Ingles has it. Here is a direct link: El Corte Ingles
to the page with the DVD that you are looking for.
Regards
Robbieroy

#56474 - 02/03/06 01:28 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
edel Offline

thanks that was a great help!! going to buy it now.

#56475 - 02/04/06 02:22 PM Re: Gitanos in Spain
vhitney Offline

Loc: USA
I am wish to extend my research on the Gitanos (gypsies)..I spent some time in Slovakia taking photos, talking and getting information on their way of living. I'd really like to do the same in Sevilla. If anyone has any contacts or suggestions for me, I'd really appreciate it very much. Will be in Sevilla on March 3 - March 10th.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2310 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments