Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#54743 - 03/05/05 02:48 PM spain vs colombia
Don Dela Vega Offline

Loc: England - Buckinghamshire
which place has the better looking women and are less prejudice against black people?

#54744 - 03/06/05 01:17 PM Re: spain vs colombia
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this beholder says Spain. It is hard to enjoy the sight of a good looking woman when you get caught in the cross fire of two warring drug lords in Columbia. It does not appear that, that situation will change anytime soon in Columbia, so go where you can enjoy. Viva Espana. smile smile

#54745 - 03/06/05 04:07 PM Re: spain vs colombia
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Beautiful women are everywhere; you can find just as many in Spain as you will in Colombia. rolleyes

I would take Desert Dweller's advice to skip Colombia right now, the same for Venezuela and Cuba, purely for political reasons.

p.s. Colombians,sorry for misspelling Colombia! eek

#54746 - 03/07/05 01:17 AM Re: spain vs colombia
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
There are many Colombian women in Spain, but there aren't Spanish women in Colombia. Why don't get the 2*1 bargain?

And who are better looking? ...as Desert Dweller said "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and I am a beholder too... just as Desert Dweller.

#54747 - 03/07/05 12:37 PM Re: spain vs colombia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Don Dela Vega, in most of Latin America (or all of it - yes, that's a generalization) the whiter your skin the higher you sit on the social-status-scale and Colombia is not different, I'm sure. Blacks are at or near the bottom along with indigenous people. Blacks may even be lower since they came later. I'm not sure about this point about which is lower. But if you look at all your business owners, bankers, businessmen, politicians, movie/TV stars, and people in power you'll see that nearly all of them are white white - those with the strongest/purest Spain-based genetic traits. Is that a racist statement? Not really since it's not me who made the hierarchy this way, I'm just stating my observation. Is the way it is racist? Sure it is. When you have inequality you have racial inequalities and, as far as I'm aware, there are racial inequalities on every continent on the planet.

Blacks/Africans came to Spain MUCH later than they did to Colombia so is Spain LESS prejudice against black people than Colombians? I really don't know. I can only guess. But Spaniards are definitely less accustomed to having Africans in their environment than are Colombians.

Now, with regards to your "which has more attractive women", well, that's a toss-up, really. The only two Colombian women I've known were BOTH VERY attractive, both very white, one was blonde and the other a brunette, both thin, and very conscious about their appearance, makeup, hair, status. One I met in the USA and the other I met while on a tour in Perú. Keep in mind that those Colombians who can afford to travel belong to the upper classes and it's these upper classes which can afford to dress up, buy makeup, pay for cosmetic surgery, etcetera.

I've always said that, in general, Spanish women are attractive and they too are conscious of their appearance but in a different way. You'll find a LONG thread by an African American women (member name: Sheba) who was about to visit Spain. Her topic was called " Black in Spain ". I think you'll find it especially enlightening. I think there are a few other topics from/about black men visiting Spain and if the Spanish women liked or disliked them in general.

If money is a factor, I'd imagine that Colombia would be MUCH MUCH cheaper to spend time than in Spain. And from Colombia you can travel throughout Latin America inexpensively too. It's SO beautiful there and the people are so wonderful, open, just, and helpful.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#54748 - 03/07/05 02:02 PM Re: spain vs colombia
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
(By the Way, itis Colombia, not Columbia)

I`ve lived in colombia and now am living in Spain for a while. first of all the dangers of druglords in colombia has diminished considerably. It is not as dangerous as people make it out to be (ever hear of ETA?) In another post I wrote that I feel a lot unsafer living here in Barcelona, than I did while in colombia. I`ve seen more muggings and fights in the streets here than I ever did there. It is a dangerous place if you don`t know your way around, but not like the news makes out (You might be interested to know that a lot of ex-gi`s from the US cause a lot of the trouble down there while working for "security companies").

As far as women are concerned, a lot of differences. I tend to find colombians a lot more attractive. I have been around many Spaniards who tend to be a bit stinky, as well as having bad breath and brown teeth. I didnot experience this in colombia. Women down there are very aware of themselves and always try to make agood impression, not that it always works. One thing to consider is that most people in Colombia don`t smoke and if they do they aren`t fiends about it, one after the other. This helps with the smell/brown teeth problem. Most night life in colombia isn`t sitting down drinking in a smoke-filled bar. It`s dancing.
I`ve also found colombians to be a LOT more friendlier than Spaniards. Most foreigners that I know of here tell me that the local people ignore them when talked to. Colombians love to talk to people from different places.
For these reasons and like MadrdMan said about it being way cheaper, I`d go to colombia. If you need advice on where, etc... just ask.

oops forgot about hte black people thing. There is a lot of rascism in Colombia, but it doesn`t seem as in-your-face as the states. It`s more classist than rascist. If your black but from a different country (I think your from England?) then it is not an issue. You might feel a little on display, but don`t worry about it. What part of colombia are you going to? I suggest Santa Marta (El Rodadero to be specific)

#54749 - 03/07/05 03:05 PM Re: spain vs colombia
jabch Offline

Hi! Don Dela Vega: You sound interested in knowing where, either Spain or Colombia, you will be more popular or accepted among girls. Sorry I can’t answer that. But will take this opportunity to let you know that as an foreigner you will be seen different and out of comparison with the local black people. If you need some information about the situation of black people from Colombia, here you have my comments:

In Latin-America it is a common for the people to think that they are not racist just because they don't hate black people. So the concept of racism in Latin-America is different than that of the U.S., basically because the history of black people in the U.S. and South-America is different.

So in the U.S., most people are politically correct about their racial comments, at least in public. While in Latin-America you still hear people making jokes and comments about black people. This might be offensive to any African-American from the U.S., but in Latin-America it is considered simply a joke, that even many black people laugh about. Is it correct? Probably not, but the truth is that most people in Latin-America do not consider themselves racist.

Even though you don’t find racism in the way it is/was found in the U.S., the results of racism are the same. Look at the following numbers:

26% of the population of Colombia is black, but
No general in the Colombian Army is black
No bishop of the Catholic Church in Colombia is black
No member of the presidential cabinet is black
80% of black Colombians live in extreme poverty
The per capita income of the black population is 500 dollars per year
Half of the black population is analphabet
Only 2% of black people make it to College
74% of the black population receives less than the minimum legal salary in Colombia.

(Source http://www.theamericas.org/colombia_racism.htm, 2001)

I also should point out that most Colombian people I’ve met (and believe me they are good people) are happy to talk about their “pedigree” and social-economic status in Colombia. I found this really distasteful, but that’s the way it is. And like any other Latin-American country, most rich people from Colombia, if not white, have some European features.

Nonetheless, in my eyes in Latin-America there’s more classism than racism going on.

BTW, I agree with all of MM’s comments.

#54750 - 03/07/05 05:17 PM Re: spain vs colombia
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
I agree with jabch. A lot of people I talked to in colombia talk about their class/pedigree. Even quite dark people will try to tell you how they are not 100% black. I even had one aquaintance tell me he wanted to have a baby by a white woman so he could "Improve his race". Not the brightest guy I knew there, actually he was wanted for selling properties that didn`t even belong to him (someone like this shouldn`t reproduce), as well as othre things. colombia is a greatplace to meet women, but be careful. More than once I was invited to have a baaby with someone I barely knew, and I had to insist a lot of times on using a condom.

#54751 - 03/08/05 05:29 AM Re: spain vs colombia
Emilio J Offline

Loc: Valencia
Quote:
I have been around many Spaniards who tend to be a bit stinky, as well as having bad breath and brown teeth

#54752 - 03/08/05 06:06 AM Re: spain vs colombia
Don Dela Vega Offline

Loc: England - Buckinghamshire
Ok, How do people from spain look at people from colombia? if i havent already done this i would like to thank madridman and everyone for their help so far... do the spaniard get along with colombians?

I guess i dont have much to worry about since i am what they call "gringo" and i am not in the same class as a black colombian right?

i am probably what they would call a afro-european if such a thing exist..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2274 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments