Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#55293 - 11/28/04 09:28 AM Racism in Madrid?
Panthercw Offline

Loc: Madrid
I am a black American living in Madrid teaching English. In all honestly, I would have to say I do consider Madrid a racist city. However, it is not a clear cut case. I can not tell you the number of times I have been turned away from pubs and discos since arriving in Madrid. I get every excuse in book, too sporty, no I.D., private party, everything. I have gone out in a suit with my passport and still been turned away from places. I even get turned away from hip hop clubs!? A black American not being allowed in a hip hop club? In saying that, all of my students are the NICEST. A part of me feels that the racism is directed at the African immigrants and people can not tell the difference between African and black American and I suffer as a result. Regardless, it is still racism.

One question I have, are there any other people of color from America or Canada living in Madrid also?? Where are bars and discos that I can go to where I am not the ONLY black person and won't feel like an animal in a zoo because I am being stared at? Any information on the subject would be great. My impression of Madrid is very low at this point, but I am not going to give up on the city yet. Just has too much going for it to write it off.

#55294 - 11/28/04 10:35 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have also been turned away from pubs for the same reasons as you. I'm sure that some close-minded and racist didn't allowed you to enter their pubs, but perhaps not all the times was for that reason.

Anyway, if someone says you can't enter a pub, you must know that the law backs you. Court them if you think they have turned you back for being black.

As for people staring at you, I know it is very very unpleasant, but as you already know, black americans in Madrid are very very rare. People always stare up of curiousity. I have to make efforts not to stare if I see a black american or a japanese in Madrid for that same reason, I've not seen much in my live...

Yesterday in a soccer match there were again monkey chants directed towards a black player. That is something that is becoming frequent and that should be stopped inmediately, for example closing soccer stadiums. I can't believe people in my country is that stupid.

Panthercw, enjoy your visit and don't let those clawns ruin your staying here.

Fernando

#55295 - 11/28/04 01:04 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Panthercw, first, WELCOME to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! smile

Fernando above did not mention that he's a white Spaniard. We don't know exactly WHY he was turned away from clubs because this wasn't explained to him - which they'll never do.

People are commonly not allowed to enter many clubs in Spain if they're not dressed appropriately. I've heard many stories about tourists being turned away from discos because they were wearing tennis shoes/sneakers/runners.

Of course, they can't legally disallow you to enter because you're black but they can if they have a clothing policy. They'll rarely tell you the reason you're denied entry.

Racism in Spain and throughout Europe has been evident since before the discovery of the Americas. But regarding the last few hundred years the greatest majority of "foreigners" have been the gypsies. And now, in the last 25 years it has been Africans and Latinos and the influx has been sudden. Sudden changes in any culture tends to bring about fear and MISUNDERSTANDINGS about them and this brings racism for sure.

As for staring, there are a number of threads here about "The Staring Spaniard". It's not just you, I assure you, they always stare at me and I'm 100% white and very "American"-looking because, I suppose, because I'm different. They're not afraid to stare at people of other cultures (like in the USA where you can't hardly glance at a person because we fear that person will be carrying a pistol and will shoot us dead in the street). While uncomfortable and strange to me, when someone stares at me it's kind of refreshing that they don't carry around with them the same social fears that we (in the USA) do. Spaniards, typically older generations, tend to stare at anyone who looks different from them - even Spanish punk rockers, for example. Younger generations, it seems to me, have become more politically correct - with the drastic and horrible exception of those hooligans yelling monkey-chants at the black soccer/fútbol players.

Still, try to keep an open mind and remember that when visiting other countries we'll rarely be treated as we are in our home country. This is asking too much......for now. Maybe in another 100+ years when countries may become totally mixed will people be less fearful of others for the color of their skin because, by then, we'll all be MULTI-CULTURED and MULTI-COLORED.

Take care and enjoy your time in Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#55296 - 11/28/04 01:17 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

I totally agree with MM. However, let me make a precision: they can't legally deny your entrance to a pub, not even for your shoes. AND, the times I have been denied access I demanded a reason.

Of course, those places where I was denied access I have never come back. I am free to spend my money where I want. So we all are.

Fernando

#55297 - 11/29/04 12:28 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Panther,
I am US Military stationed here in Madrid and I have several Black Soldiers/Sailors that live downtown and have had the same problem as yourself. They don't let it get to them and last time I asked, they were still enjoying living in Madrid. If you want to talk to one of them.....Email me Navydocwv@hotmail.com

#55298 - 11/29/04 01:50 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I mainly agree with MM. I have also been turned away like Fernando (BTW, I am also white and spanish), in the old times when I used sneakers, or simply because they didn't like my face or my looks.

Unlike what Fernando says, they can turn you out because you're not dressing adequately or just because, IF they have a "Reservado el derecho de admisión" sign in the entrance, which they all have.

Only exception: They can not (openly) say no because of race.

The matter is not racism, as you yourself guessed when speaking of measures oriented to africans in this case, it's classist. If they knew you were american I don't think they'd have any problems, in case the problem was the colour and not the sneakers, you know.

Discos is where there is more classism, you'll hardly find it anywhere else.

Latinos don't have racial problems in discos within Spain usually. I have plenty of friends latinos, and we were never turned back because of being latinos. Once we went to one of my friend's place and change his footwear and then he was let in.

That said, I suspect ONCE, in Kapital, I was said "private party", I believe because the girl who was coming with me was black.

The staring is as MM says.

#55299 - 11/29/04 04:52 AM Re: Racism in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

There are precedents in court statements which make invalid the so called "derecho de admisión" (the right to turn you back). It is illegal to do so (but not many people complain about it).

Fernando

#55300 - 11/29/04 04:45 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
It is such a shame that while living in the twentyfirst century people still act like we're living in the eighteen hundreds frown

DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE UNTO YOU!
anonymous.

#55301 - 11/29/04 05:02 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
RasBoriqua Offline

Loc: Humacao, Puerto Rico
As a Black Latino ( Puerto Rico ).
I've been thru all of the above. I have to say, after talking with the people of Madrid. They soon come around and greet you warmly. That's why I love that country and it's people. They are for real, with no hangups with speaking the truth to your face.

Yes, there are plenty of Black own Pubs. Check them out in Mostoles, Leganes & Fuenlabrada.

#55302 - 11/29/04 07:36 PM Re: Racism in Madrid?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I lived in madrid summer 2003 and I never had a problem there as a black person.I do admit that madrid is a little bit more classist. I have been to a wide range of clubs, from fortuny and gabanna(upscale).Kapital, joy,pacha. velada, bash(hip hop). gaivira (international).Bars like larios torre europa(many bars there)la terraza at ABC. In sevilla I was with spaniards and two times we were turned away. Some places in spain only take the beautiful people. If you are not beautiful enough you may not get in. The thing that gets me is that ugly bouncers decide who is beautiful.In sevilla I have had some of the women bartenders give me drinks for free.As far as the staring goes, madridman remembers when i complained about it. I actually miss the staring. Here in america, people are afraid to look you in the eyes.The women here are just busy looking in the store windows. At least someone acknowledges that you exist.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2966 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments