Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53141 - 10/15/02 11:38 AM Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Miguelito Offline

I bring up this new because there are so many threads talking about how thin and skinny Spanish are... if we don't take care, maybe it won't be like that in the future. I guess it's because we're changing the food habits..
http://www.elpais.es/suple/salud/articul...nchor=elpsalpor

#53142 - 10/15/02 04:19 PM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Wow! Interesting article, Miguelito... Thanks for sharing that, but i'm sad to hear it. frown

I have spent a good deal of time in Japan, as well as Spain, and have noticed a similar trend among Japanese youngsters. Of course, in Japan it's because of the popularity of western style foods (yep, American foods), and the fact that kids think it is not cool to eat what their parents eat, which tends to be more traditional foods. Starting to see some *real* heavy ones there!

In Spain I did not notice so many lardos, altho who could *NOT* notice "Kentucky Fried Chicken," and "Pizza Hut!!??" Let's hope Spanish kids realize how great Spanish food is, and how bland American food is (altho there is some great American food to be had).

Also, Miguelito, your written English is great, and your ability to catch the subtle nuances like 'fattest' is top-notch! Can I offer a tricky-translation correction to you?

"Los niños españoles, *entre* los más gordos de Europa" translates more closely to "Spanish Children *among* the fattest of Europe." I know it's a strange thing to point out, but since your written English is so good I thought you would not mind knowing that word for this particular translation... 'Between' and 'among' have very different meanings. There are certainly words in English that have the same type of ambiguity in meaning as 'entre,' like 'bank.'

Again, I hope you do not mind the tip!

Andrew
:wq

#53143 - 10/16/02 04:35 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Miguelito Offline

ha ha, thank you, I have notice now what I have writen.
This has remained me the joke about the English Academy...
Is this the English Academy?
If, if, between, between
(sí, sí, entre, entre)

#53144 - 10/16/02 10:55 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Espe3 Offline

I didn't read the article, but I've noticed that that youngsters the past few years are many that are fat. When I was younger in spain, there were some who were a bit chubby, but not like you see today! Even europeans and other foreigners who come to the US to visit, realize how unfriendly the American diet is on their bodies frown I eat more in Spain and am thinner smile - maybe because I insist on if not homemade food, tapas and spanish food when I go out! (Yes I drive my friends quite crazy with my yearning for tapas! smile ) And we laugh when someone wants to go to McDonalds or something else american and I refuse! wink

#53145 - 10/16/02 12:33 PM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
The thought has been tossed around for years that a primary reason for weight gain (other than McD's and lot and stuffing ones face too often) is the amount of chemicals used in the growing and forced rippening of foods PLUS all the additives used in the preservation of food. Be it vegetables, fish, or meat - the amount of chemicals has increased over the years. Any thoughts?

#53146 - 10/16/02 07:07 PM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Puna,

totally right on! how can we expect foods to retain vitamins, enzymes, etc.., when we process the hell out of them?

also, Americans are largely stationary / sessile... kinda like sponges! he he he...! last I knew, Spaniards (Europeans) *and* Japanese do a great deal of walking and burn off carbs, while Americans tend not to...

I know we live in largely captalistic countries, but what service are we doing ourselves if we allow people to become this way? (sort of off topic, Arizona has a 'fat tax,' created especially for the burden that 'fat eaters' will eventually cause our health system. when you buy fatty foods you pay an extra tax on them -- taking it too far??) locura! ya os digo!

#53147 - 10/17/02 08:57 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Puna --

I think you are right on the mark about the over processed foods with all the chemical additives. Since I have been here, I have shed 15 lbs in a year and a half. Believe me, I think it has everything to do with what I have been eating and the altered lifestyle. Rather than my conscious effort to lose the weight.

We do not buy, as a general rule, any processed foods. Most everything that we buy is fresh and all our meals are prepared from scratch. I confess that I do buy the "cheese singles" (individually wrapped cheesefood slices) because I can´t calm my craving for the occasional grilled cheese sandwich. However apart from that... everything is much more elaborated than the "typical" American meal.

I think something else that has an affect is the eating hours. The largest meal of the day here is midday (ok, 2-4pm not exactly midday by Anglo standards), giving you ample time to digest and workoff that food. Dinner, although eaten much later, is generally much much lighter.

I find the proliferation of McDonalds and other fast food restaurants (Spanish, English, French, American etc) here extremely disconcerting. The consumerism hook is fast getting a foothold here in Spain. Everything from impulse purchases (you know, buying candy at the checkout line when you hadn´t really planned on purchasing it) to product placement (paying a premium to have your product placed at eye level on the grocery store shelves) is bigtime here. And unfortnately the biggest names in the game are the ones you will most likely recognize: Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Kraft, Procter & Gamble, etc..etc.

Globalization. Is it good or is it bad ¿?

#53148 - 10/17/02 10:13 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
nevado Offline

I totally agree about the processed foods. When I moved to Spain and had no microwave, I was forced to cook from scratch and low and behold, went from a size 8/10 to a 6. I did nothing more than get rid of my car and cook with natural foods instead of processed foods. Does anyone out there think children in Spain are gaining weight because they are getting less home-cooked meals? I see them eating more in more in school cafeterias and less at home (perhaps due to women working more)?? Plus, I remember in the 80s it was not common to see frozen meals and now the supermarkets are full of them.

Let's talk for a sec about U.S. public school menus, all the junk we sell to kids in the schools, etc.
I work in a public school and the lunch menus are scandalous. There's hardly an ounce of nutrition in what they eat and I wonder how many parents know what their children are eating. Most kids go off campus to fast food but the ones who choose to stay aren't eating any better.

#53149 - 10/17/02 10:23 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
nevado Offline

Just had another thought. I think everyone's points are valid as to why Spanish children are fatter than before, but we haven't touched upon why Spain compared to the rest of Europe. I see all the factors we've commented on in most/all western countries, so why are Spanish children the fattest in Europe?

#53150 - 10/17/02 10:44 AM Re: Spanish kids between the fattest of Europe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Chica,

I completely agree with your comments about the larger meal being midday and eating lighter at nite. There is also a school of thought that snacking throughout the day keeps the metabolism up and is far more healthy than eating a couple of large meals - especially at night ... and then veggie in front of the 'idiot box'.

Exercise is crucial but not a 'go to the gym - go crazy - hurt - avoid the gym 'til healed - then do it again' syndrome. The streets are full of pedestrians in Spain - people walk daily and for reasonable distances. Thats healthy and consistent exercise.

I always loose weight when I'm in Spain - and because neither my activities nor eating habits chance very much - I know it's due to the quality of the food.

Nevado,

You're right on about the garbage we feed our kids in the school system. It's disgraceful - and far too many kids get fed the same way at home!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1799 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments