Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#53135 - 10/08/02 09:51 PM Learning about Spices in Spain
suzn Offline

I will be in Spain for 3 months traveling and learning about spice production, people, culture. cooking, customs etc. I arrive in Madrid and plan on staying in Madrid for 2 weeks beginning in Oct 2002. Where is a clean, well located plave to stay while in Madrid that is centrally located? Where is the best area for seeing the sites? restaurants? Does anyone know about a Saffron Festival whre/when? Does anyone have ideas on where to visit where to stay in Spain who to contact to learn about how spices are cultivated, produced, grown, used...etc? I would like to stay in small apts or with families.

#53136 - 10/13/02 11:11 PM Re: Learning about Spices in Spain
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I believe that the "Festival de Azafran" is at the end of oct(27?) in Consuegra, region of Toledo. Hope this helps.

#53137 - 10/14/02 06:12 AM Re: Learning about Spices in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The Fiestas de la Rosa del Azafrán are held the last weekend in October. I found the previous link through google.com and thought it would help you in your quest... Have fun! wink

#53138 - 10/14/02 08:23 AM Re: Learning about Spices in Spain
suzn Offline

You are so right! I found Festival de la Rosa del Azafran in Consuegra. Without your input I never would have found it. Now, Has anyone ever been there - how to get ther- where to stay- and what was their experience- I may have to make another post. I would love to go! Is it OK to send saffron back to the States?

Funny, I got so excited about your hint that it took me a few hours, not knowing Spanish of course, to find the link for a tour to Consuegra and the link to tell me about the festival- Then I notice your link....I thought How did I miss that? Then I look again to see it was your second post. So you are there with me... smile Thank you. Now- I do I get to Consuega for this festival and where do I stay? The tour I found was over $2,000 - Hello???? It sounded wounderful- from Taste of Spain - I would love to be a helper on the tour- Anyone have ideas of travel agents or ways to get to The Festival de la Rosa del Azafran October 27th in Consuega and where to stay? I do not have a car. Still looking for lodging in Madrid for Wednesday! I remain positive...... smile

#53139 - 10/14/02 08:51 AM Re: Learning about Spices in Spain
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Here is another link to CONSUEGRA . And a link for Hotels in Consuegra . Here is the tourist office contact info: Oficina de Turismo: Cerro Calderico, s/n. Telf: 925 475 731. Fax: 925 480 288.

More hotel information (cut and paste)

Hotel Las Provincias
Carretera de Toledo (N-401), km 58.5 Telf.: 925482000
34 Habitaciones

El hotel tiene los siguientes servicios: Admite Tarjetas de Crédito - Aire Acondicionado - Bar/Cafetería - Calefacción - Discoteca - Jardín/Terraza - Parking - Piscina - Salón de Reuniones - Servicio Habitaciones 24 Horas - Teléfono - Televisión.

Hostal San Poul
Avenida Alcázar, 52 Telf.:925 482304
10 Habitaciones

El hotel tiene los siguientes servicios:
Acceso Minusválidos - Admite Tarjetas de Crédito - Aire Acondicionado - Bar/Cafetería - Calefacción - Servicio Habitaciones 24 Horas - Teléfono - Televisión - TV satélite - Video.

Casa Rural Casilda
Calle Urda, 26 Tlf: 677.39.48.72
E-mail: casildarural@wanadoo.es

Capacidad Total: 6 Personas. 2 Habt. dobles (Cama supletoria opcional en una de ellas) y 1 habt. indiv.

I haven´t been able to locate the train information despite me scouring the RENFE website. Does anyone else out there know of local bus companies that run to the Toledo area?

#53140 - 10/14/02 11:57 AM Re: Learning about Spices in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that importing saffron back to the US is not a problem (although it's a plant, it's dried and that seems to make a difference).

Yum--and have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1612 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments