Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#52033 - 01/29/02 12:16 PM Breastfeeding in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
And another topic inspired by my infant development course...what's the current popular view in Spain about breastfeeding? Here in the US, it's becoming more and more common, though there are still some people who prefer not to see it in public (one person told a nursing friend of mine, "do that in the bathroom, a--hole!").

Doctors advocate it pretty strongly, though, and more and more moms are at least giving it a try. Do many or most new moms in Spain breastfeed, and do they find acceptance doing so? Would a non-Spaniard traveling with an infant find places to nurse a baby, or would doing so in public be awkward?

Not that this is my situation...my one and only little one is nearly 5!!

#52034 - 01/29/02 04:09 PM Re: Breastfeeding in Spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Breastfeeding in Spain is considered the norm, by the masses and by the doctors. Not doing so is often considered wrong, and a mother choosing to bottle feed will probably have to deal with lots of well-meaning people cross examining her to try to understand why! Breast feeding is totally accepted, and, even though women will often move to another room to nurse, they are often joined there by the other women around who, in a way, celebrate a feminine connection with each other. I've never known a Spaniard who had a problem with it, male or female, and I think it's just accepted as a part of life. The more I think about it though, the more I'd like to hear from others. Maybe my experience is different from that of others. I've had lots of friends in Spain who had babies, and only one didn't breastfeed - an American who was concerned about her figure. But what about working mothers? The maternity leave is wonderful - 16 weeks, but going back to work often cuts the nursing period short. Fathers can also share the leave with the mothers, and this could be an argument for bottle feeding if the mother works and the father cares for the baby. The increased percentage of women in the working force in Spain continues to have an enormous effect on family life. Then again, there are legal allowances for nursing working mothers beyond the 16 weeks - they can go to work an hour late or leave an hour early in order to nurse.

As far as the non-Spanish mother traveling and nursing, she can always find a place or cover the baby loosely with a baby blanket, but uncovered nursing in pubic is not really seen - except perhaps in the case of gypsies.

#52035 - 01/30/02 02:16 AM Re: Breastfeeding in Spain?
Miguelito Offline

I don't have children so I'm not an expert but I think nowadays the mother can make a bottle with her own milk to take away and then ask to heat it in a restaurant or so. It's more comfortable for them to do like this than looking for a private room to nurse.

#52036 - 01/30/02 10:32 AM Re: Breastfeeding in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I think lots of American moms do the same, Miguelito, as it's still quite unusual to see a mother nursing in a restaurant here. It's more accepted in some places than in others, and probably depends a bit on the mother's confidence level (and on the baby's age--when they are tiny, it's easier to be discreet).

When my daughter was small, I was pretty militant about nursing wherever I wanted to--partly because I think the prevailing American attitudes about nursing are terrible. I felt like it was my little statement of protest...which is odd for a shy person like me.

But I have friends who traveled extensively abroad when their babies were tiny, and they felt less certain about nursing in public, probably because they couldn't communicate if someone asked questions or made comments. I don't think I would have felt comfortable, even in Spain (where I can speak relatively well), nursing on a bench in front of the Prado! It's funny...after a while, it feels like a secret drug habit or something...I have to creep off into a bathroom to give my baby a "fix." And if you're traveling, it's even harder, as you only have your hotel room as a "base" and everywhere else is an unknown!

Thanks for the insights...maybe someday some board member will end up in this situation...or will be able to help a mom find a quiet place to feed her baby.

I have always thought that the BEST time to travel with kids was when they are very small babies--if they are nursing, you don't have to carry food along, and they sleep well in strollers and in car seats, etc.

We thought seriously about going to Italy when Lauren was little, to see family, and I think it would have been much easier than it is to travel with a 4-year-old now (toys, clothes, etc!). My sister traveled to France, England, and Ireland with her infant last year and it went really well.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: taravb ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3028 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments