Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51966 - 01/05/02 05:38 AM Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Any Madrileños (and any others!) want to discuss American chain eateries in historic Spanish buildings?

Did this title and introduction sound too sensational? Probably is, but echoes a conversation I had recently in Madrid with a Spanish friend.

The conversation went a little like this:

- "Ahh, mad another American chain in a historic building (Planet Hollywood accross from the Prado)," I say.

- "Isn't it disgusting," my friend said.

- "More embarrassing than 'disgusting'," I thought.

- Madrileño: "Well, they're probably the only ones that can afford the rent..."

- "It is embarrassing because in the States McDonalds are Burger King would probably not get very far in letting these chains occupy a historic building," I thought and somewhat managed to convey to my dear friend.

I have to admit I stopped in once to get a Sprite (never Sprite, always Fanta in Spain wink ). I have to say all these "American" chains are filled with locals and NOT tourists.

I guess if locals enjoy a little taste of Norte Americano (of 'fast-food' variety wink - heh, heh - we don't all eat this everyday smile ), we sensitive Americans shouldn't be so embarrassed by garish corporate logos in beatiful, old Spanish structures.

Again, anyone want to comment on this - you think it's "much ado about nothing," or truly a nasty blight and eyesore...

#51967 - 01/05/02 06:29 AM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I find it slightly disssapointing to see foriegn firms occupying older Spanish buildings, but I prefer that they occupy older archictecturaly(spell check!!!) conforming buildings than constructing new eye-sore. I don´t need to see a yellowed roofed, seventies looking decor to know where to find an American burger.

#51968 - 01/05/02 06:45 AM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I agree, seeing a "Mickey D's", or a BK whopper picture in the window of a very old building in Spain does seem to make me a bit uncomfortable. They never pass on the garish signs, and I believe they'd even tear down the buildings to put up one of their ugly buildings in its place, if they could.

There are things from America that don't fit into the Spanish terrain, and I wish they'd learn to conform to standards, instead of pushing our own culture down the throat of others. It doesn't speak well for the U.S.

Wolf

#51969 - 01/05/02 08:00 AM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I don't personally feel good about seeing the Golden Arches (MacDonald's) or Burger King or KFC or the now GONE(!) Wendy's signs about in Spain at all. I'd rather NOT see them. Keep in mind that while these chains are/were backed by originally US Based companies, they're probably more likely backed by MacDonald's International and the local franchises, wherever they may be in Spain, are likely owned and operated by Spaniards. This is only a guess so maybe I'm wrong. Still, it shouts, "Hey tourists! Come get a Big Mac and forget you're in Spain!!"

I was VERY sad to hear from a coworker who went to Madrid with her husband 2 years ago that she couldn't stand (or was afraid to try) the Spanish food so they ate almost everyday in MacDonald's and Burger King. ¡Qué Verguenza! rolleyes

As JJP states above, these places are usually more highly populated with Spaniards than tourists. I asked my ladyfriend about this and she said that usually/mainly only youngsters go to these places because it's cheap and they can sit down someplace.

On a nighttime historical walking tour of Madrid, given by Stephen Drake-Jones of The Wellington Society on Christmas night, he showed us the location of the first Burger King (or first US based hamburger restaurant?) in Spain, near the El Corte Inglés at SOL and he said when they opened in 1979 (??) the line to get in stretched down the street and around the corner. Days after that, they only had a few customers each day after the hype wore down. He also said that many of these kinds of places shut down quickly because, as a Spanish custom, customers come in, order only a Coke, sit down, and talk for hours with their friends whom ALSO ONLY ordered a Coke. SO, they make little money and with the cheap prices they already charge it can be difficult to stay in business.

For me, I prefer Museo del Jamón for my fast(er) food in a TOTALLY Spanish setting. LOVE those places!!! :p

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51970 - 01/05/02 10:42 AM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ok ok, don't rush yourselves that much americans. McD and BK are not that bad, and are now integrated (as far as they can) in the spanish society. They have gazpacho, salads and juices.

I don't mind to see one of those franchises (yes, the majority of them are owned by spaniards and there are only spaniards working in them) in an old building as long as they are respectful with it. For me it is equal to see a McDonalds or a pharmacy. I really don't mind. Try to see the positive face of things: These american chains have invest money here, have made money and have created work.

Why are these chains (McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, etc...) that popular? Simply because they have changed our customs and they have educated us to like them.

When the first McDonald's was founded in Spain some 25 years ago, spaniards didn't eat there. It was unheard of, and the people ate "bocadillos" and "tapas" instead of burgers and pizza. The McDonald's chiefs said (this is true, believe it): Well, we have money, and we don't mind to spend it here for one or two decades until the people get used to eat this food. With the apropiate marketing and publicity they educated children and young people to eat this food. So now the youngsters as me are as used to McDonalds as we no longer see it alien food or an american restaurant. McDonald's have adapted itself to our customs, and have adapted us to its food.

I don't know if this convert me in stupid, but I like a good Big Mac from time to time. That doesn't mean I eat it everyday (we still eat our healthy food) but eating one from time to time has never killed someone...yet. smile

Fernando

#51971 - 01/05/02 11:38 AM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Much as I personally - and I stress personally - dislike McD's and all the rest of the fast food chains - in the US, Spain - or anywhere else - Fernando just made an excellent point. McD's historically adapts thier menu to their location - 25 years ago the McD's in Hawaii were serving siamin and rice. It's a smart marketing ploy on the part of an international company with plenty of funds to have researched the validity and viability of what they're doing.

I'm not sure who mentioned that McD's and the other fast food places serve as an affordable meeting place for teensagers (Fernando - was it you?)- a place where they can sit and talk for hours. Not a bad thing and a heck of alot better than on the streets or in the bars.

#51972 - 01/07/02 02:50 PM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
Jaime Offline

What about Pans and Co. for great Spanish fast food on the go? That's what I call superb fast food. I'd have a cheap jamon and queso baguette over a Big Mac anyday!

#51973 - 01/07/02 04:47 PM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If there's one thing that screams authenticity it's a McGazpacho or maybe a McBocadillo de McTortilla. :p ¡Ñam ñam! :p Ray Kroc can McPudrirse en McHell! mad

#51974 - 01/07/02 06:42 PM Re: Garish American Chains in Historic Spanish Buildings
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
I guess my point of view is that fast food is one of our main "cultural" exports. I enjoy eating a Big Mac from time to time, but think the U.S. has such better characteristics and culture than fast-food eateries. On the other hand, they do an enormous amount of business so I guess someone likes it. Who am I to judge!

Was in South Africa in 1997 where a beautiful Cape-Dutch town had up its holiday decorations on streep-lamps that included Bart Simpson and other cartoons. The Simpsons is a good show, but as street decorations? I almost lost it - I was embarrassed. But, then again, Americans didn't make the decission to put up the images...

There is probably nothing really wrong with - no matter how loud "anti-globalization" yells - McDonalds or Burger King. I'm also impressed they try to accomodate the local cultures. In Guadalajara Mexico I ate fries with a decent chipotle and jalapeño sauce. It least they make an (shallow?) attempt to be culturally sensitive.

Was it Puna or Fernando - also, my Madrileña friend told me she grew up (now 31) as a teenager going with her girlfriends to Mc Donalds. She pleasantly said that there were few other places someone that age could go. ...and you could talk for hours. Not a bad inadvertent social service. smile

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they would rather see them as they are - rathing than replacing the buildings with a truly obnoxious structure. Good point - the logo signs don't seem so garish to me anymore.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2086 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments