Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51615 - 10/10/01 12:58 AM Wages
ricky17 Offline

Hello,

I'm looking for some information on wages and employment benefits in Spain. I can't find anything on the NET or in the library. Any help would be very appreciated.

#51616 - 10/10/01 06:59 AM Re: Wages
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Maybe if you give us more information we could help you wink

Wages vary from 90.000 ptas/month to, let´s say, 5.000.000 ptas/month, depending on the job that is being done.

In which part of the industry are you going to work?

Regards

Fernando

#51617 - 10/10/01 09:11 AM Re: Wages
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
As pointed out, it depends on the sector you work in. The minimum wage is around 70,000 pesetas a month. You'd have to be something of a hermit on hunger strike to live on that though. Salaries are higher of course. In terms of employment benefits and rights (as well as obligations) the minimum and universal guidelines are laid out in the Estatuto de Trabajadores. Then each sector will have better conditions outlined in a specific Collective Agreement (Convenio Colectivo). This agreement is drawn up every year or two between the Unions and management.Salaries are laid out here too. So if you want to know your basic rights, consult the Estatuto, and if you want to know those specific to your sector, consult the Convenio. I don't know if these documents are readily available in English on Internet, but if you have any specific questions, just ask.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#51618 - 10/30/01 03:48 AM Re: Wages
ricky17 Offline

Gentleman, you are both very informed!

I will be doing a mix of graphic art and technical support. Now I know that graphic art is a fairly common profession so I'm hoping the technical support aspect will enlarge the offered wage. I want to know more about the other benefits employees receive. I'm aware they get 1 month vacation and the work week is 40 hours but are they paid overtime? Do employers offer other benefits besides wages and vacation?

Also, what would be a reasonable wage(in Euros) to survive in Madrid?

#51619 - 10/30/01 08:46 AM Re: Wages
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, you should be in an average rating, something between 2 million and 5 million pesetas/year (it depends on how good you are and other factors). As reference, a high executive would earn between 12 and 20 millions, and a McDonalds employee 1 or 1,5 millions.

Apart from that there are two extra payings (in July and in December), between 15 and 30 days of vacation in summer. National employees are afiliated to the Health Insurance System. That means that if you need medical assistance you have it "for free" (you pay a certain amount of your wages every month).

Also, if they fire you, the have legally to compensate you with a certain quantity, which depends proportionaly on how much you earn and how long have you been working for that company.

Moreover, when you reach 65 years-old you stop working and you have a monthly income which depends on how much you have been earning and how long you have been working (this service is included in what the state keeps monthly from your income).

Hope this helps...

Fernando

#51620 - 10/30/01 02:13 PM Re: Wages
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Regarding a reasonable wage to survive in Madrid, you may want to try out the International Salary Calculator at http://208.219.153.236/Calculator/files/salcal.cfm It's interesting to see how Madrid compares to where you live.

Keep in mind that living alone is extremely expensive. Shared housing will help keep down expenses.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1631 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments