Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#51658 - 10/24/01 12:32 AM Best time to travel to Madrid
Cocuyo Offline

Loc: Miami
I need to know when is the best season to visit Madrid? When is cheaper or more expensive? I want to start planning a trip to Madrid next year and I need suggestions.
Thanks. cool

#51659 - 10/24/01 12:28 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hmmm.. Best season to visit Madrid, eh? Well, ALL seasons are great to visit any part of Spain (except for summer in Andalucía,, that is... HOT!!). But for me, the best season is springtime during Semana Santa. During this time you have this wonderful weeklong religious festival, the weather is usually cool-ish, the flowers are blooming and trees have many leaves already. Springtime is usually when you'll find the cheapest airfares to Spain too.

Another favorite time is a autumn. It's a beautiful, dry (i.e. low humidity), with some rain just like in spring. Airfares are low then too, but not as low as in spring. Another thing to consider, there's usually less daylight and the sun is lower during the autumn than in the springtime.

To me, springtime in Madrid is better of the two for photos and video. I HOPE to be going to Madrid for Christmas/New Years so I'll have another opinion about winter in Madrid. smile

Summer is usually the MOST expensive time to visit all of Spain and it's also, obviously, the HOTTEST (whew!!) time of the year too. This, plus fewer shops are open during the month of August so keep this in mind.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth of opinions. I think I have some change coming though. hehehe.. rolleyes Anyone else? I would think many people would have their own ideas of the best/cheapest time to visit Madrid.

Good luck and have a great trip! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51660 - 10/24/01 12:57 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
I'm in total agreement with MadridMan, except if you plan on visiting Basque Country. There, fall is ideal, where as spring is a bit unruly, and chilly by comparison.

Of course... then there's visits to areas like Cadiz, where fall is nicer than spring, and less crowded than summer.

As much as I like the idea of spending Christmas in Madrid, I pass, because the air fares are beyond outrageous. It seems like they want you to buy the plane! eek

Wolf (Who believes frugal doesn't mean "cheap!")

#51661 - 10/24/01 05:45 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
Monica Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hello MadridMan, I've got a question for you regarding my upcoming trip to Spain. Are Levi's commonly seen in Spain or would that be an obvious sign of me being a tourist? I have a ton of Levi's, here in L.A. casual is the norm. Could I get away with wearing Levi's or should I stick to slacks and skirts? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

#51662 - 10/24/01 09:03 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Monica! Please check/search the "Packing" forum for more details on your question, but in short, yes, you'll probably see more Levi's than any other brand of jeans in Spain.

But back on the topic under discussion, is there anyone who actually PREFERS going to Madrid in the summer????? I realize this is when many people have opportunities to take vacation, but WOW! Hot HOt HOT!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#51663 - 10/24/01 09:09 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
So, what kind of third world country do you think we are Monica? eek Of course we have levi's here! rolleyes

Jeans are fairly common between us young people, and Levi's is one of the most common trademarks here. smile I myself have a pair of Levi's hanging right away.

My God... this tourists... :p

See, there is not much you can do to don't appear a tourist. If you have a camera, you are blond hair and super white skin (but you told you had spanish ancestors...), you walk around with white socks (does anyone realise that not any single spaniard wear them?, they are considered "hortera"/bad fashion) or you walk with a Madrid's guide in english or a huge map on your hands you will be instantly identified as a tourist. So what? In Spain we have 50 million tourists every year, not extrange to meet one.

I have to say that I have an extrange pleasure at trying to identify the tourists and their country of origin wink And I'm usually right.

Now seriusly: You may want to "don't appear american" because you think you may be a harder target for robbers and pickpockets. Right. Just dress as in your country. The first day you walk away your hotel/hostel look around and see if you are dress according the people you see. There is more sense in trying to avoid to have cameras and pockets easily pickable than in trying to dress as an spaniard. Remember that we are very expirienced, no matter how you dress someone will identify you as a tourist.

Said that, Madrid, and Spain in general, is a very safe country. I have lived 23 years (my whole life) in Madrid and I have never been pickpocketed or robbed. And I have walked throught the most dangerous areas of the city. The people I know who has been robbed have never been menaced with a firearm, and in the least situations by a white arm (knifes). So be calm and enjoy your trip!

Specially you, you are in your country wink

Fernando

#51664 - 10/25/01 01:08 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
Monica Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Fernando, smile you must forgive me as I have never been outside of the U.S. I am very happy to hear young people wear Levi's - I'll pack them. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of your country. I am starting to get nervous/excited about the trip. I hope I get everything packed that I will need.

#51665 - 10/25/01 02:15 PM Re: Best time to travel to Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You're welcome smile

I'm sure you will enjoy the trip, don't be afraid to let something there, here you may buy almost whatever you could need. Just make sure to take your passport, your credit cards, other important documents (as helth insurance), some cash and yourself wink

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1605 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments