Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47694 - 03/20/06 02:15 PM USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
worriedaboutspain Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
So I'm looking for a specific type of cheese that I loved while I was over in Spain...it's queso manchego (or Sheep's cheese) it was a wonderful cheese to eat with bocadillos or with bread and oil. Does anyone know where I can find this in the states? Or if I can order it online (i'm desperate).

Thanks!

#47695 - 03/20/06 04:43 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Not sure where you can get it - but a word of warning .. I have ordered from a few places (online and such) and purchased at some Spanish Import stores in Miami ... It has never tasted like what I get in Spain.

#47696 - 03/20/06 05:04 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
gregorio Offline

Loc: seattle
You should be able to find it at a medium/to up scale grocery store, that has a cheese case. Go to a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's, I don't know if they have those in your neck of the woods, but that is where I would go.

#47697 - 03/20/06 05:05 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I've seen it in a couple of different grocery stores in CT, so I know you can find it there. Good enough I'd say, but I agree with CascadaDuSel, not quite the same. have you asked around where you live?

#47698 - 03/20/06 06:27 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
I've seen it in Kroger's every once and a while. Other than that, at upscale ethnic stores. It sure is good and usually about $8.00 for a very small sliver.

#47699 - 03/20/06 09:24 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
worriedaboutspain Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks, I'll check in Wholefoods, and also i was asking around and some places down where I go to school are rumored to have it. I'm on a quest to find it!!! :-) thanks for the help!

#47700 - 03/20/06 10:47 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Try Costco, and if you are really desperate, try the online sources of excellent selection-laespanolameats.com and la tienda.com, the latter is endorsed by MadridMan, himself.

#47701 - 03/23/06 01:48 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Trader Joe's if they are in your area; many of the 'healthier - more demographically targeted' markets will also have a decent selection of Spanish cheeses.

I've never bought cheese online - just things like olice oil and coffee beans - so can't speak for the cheese quality and date factor. Tienda has a reasonable selection of cheeses and is very helpful - you might want to check out the website and call them with questions reference dates on their cheeses.

FYI, help our host, MM, and let them know you learned about them here ....

#47702 - 03/24/06 05:32 AM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I don't know where in Pennsylvania you are, but in the Philadelphia area you might try Genuardi's. They still have a good selection of cheeses at the one where I shop. I'll check it out next Wednesday and let you know if I find Queso Manchego.

The Spanish aren't the only people who make cheese from Goat's milk. Try a Portuguese shop.

#47703 - 03/25/06 09:28 PM Re: USA/Online: finding Queso (cheese)?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
If Queso Manchego is what you are after, can't find it in your local store, then buy it from an online store. I have bought them at both La Tienda (latienda.com) and Española Meats. Both are in the U.S. and are reasonably priced.

Buen provecho con su queso Manchego!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3036 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments