Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46901 - 02/15/03 01:30 PM carrefour in Madrid?
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Are there shopping centers in Madrid comparable to
the large Carrefour's in France? I like to wander thru those big, local stores that carry almost everything, and less expensive than ECI.

#46902 - 02/15/03 03:19 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Carrefour is everywhere in Madrid and in the rest of Spain wink

You may go to their homepage: Carrefour Spain and see where they are placed.

The same way, when I was in the USA I would have filled a cart with goods and would have brought home with me laugh

Fernando

#46903 - 02/15/03 03:38 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
You can also try Alcampo and El Corte Ingles. Both of which have stores throughout Spain

#46904 - 02/15/03 06:12 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
Floroz Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Many thanks for the responses smile ...I did go to the Carrefour site, but I could see nothing that tells me where the stores are located in Madrid. The virtual visit to a Hipermercado is fantastic!
Can anyone tell me what subway stop one of the big ones might be near? I'll be staying at the Europa at Puerto del Sol and the underground is
so easy to use. I will be in the area March 14-19, after a week near Avila.

#46905 - 02/15/03 06:49 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Yes, I LOVE El Corte Inglés and all of the big hipermercados like Carrefour, but it is the small mercados and "mom and pop" stores or ultramarinos that really give Spain its unique flavor. I read an article about these hipermercados taking over in Italy that I think relates to our beloved España You can read the article HERE . What do you all think?

#46906 - 02/15/03 06:56 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I do not most of my regular grocery shopping at the the Carrefour at Mar de Cristal on the #8 pink line

#46907 - 02/15/03 07:39 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You might want to try Pryca! It's a hypermarket like Carrefour. rolleyes

#46908 - 02/15/03 07:39 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Oz, living in the center of a city like Madrid offers a lot of advantages, but a few serious disadvantages, one of them is the "poor supermarket situation" around Sol, Huertas (where I live), etc....Having explained this, Carrefours are very big stores and none of them is very centric or is located downtown, maybe you could check the Champion supermarkets for a more convenient location. But if you still are interested in the Carrefour chain, they do list all the Madrid stores in their webpage under Guia de Hipermercados - Com. de Madrid.

#46909 - 02/15/03 10:49 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Eddie, Carrefour IS Pryca (or viceversus). Two years ago Carrefour and Promodes, the two companies propetaries of Continente and Pryca merged into a single one (Carrefour), so all their big stores changed their names to Carrefour. smile

Fernando

#46910 - 02/16/03 05:13 PM Re: carrefour in Madrid?
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
If you are looking for cheap grocery shopping, then don't forget to check out DIA. They are located throughout Spain and I know that there is one not to far from Gran Vía. The theme is "autoservicio" so don't expect a lot of customer service, but if you know what you need then you can get out the door quick and cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments