Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46850 - 11/11/02 03:45 PM Thrift Shops! Consignment Stores!
Shazz Offline

Loc: Philadelphia/PA USA
Thrift Shops are my favourite places to find cool clothes and inexpensive buys! We'll be in Madrid, Malaga, Terragona and Barcelona that I know of so far. Where are the hot spots to hit in these areas?

#46851 - 11/11/02 03:48 PM Re: Thrift Shops! Consignment Stores!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is a good question, Shazz! However, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing a thrift shop or consignment store selling second hand closing. Spaniards, do these kinds of stores exist in Spain?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46852 - 11/11/02 06:30 PM Re: Thrift Shops! Consignment Stores!
Tia Offline

According to a newspaper here in Stockholm there are several of them in Madrid.
Hope this helps! Tia smile

Marmota
Mira el Rio Baja, 13
Metro Puerta de Toledo

Boo ya
Hortaleza, 3
Metro Gran Vía

Underground
Mira el Rio Baja, 14
Metro Puerta de Toledo

Last Wave
5 Fuencarral, 42
Metro Tribunal

Templo de Susu
Espíritu Santo, 1
Metro Tribunal

Pepita is dead
Doctor Fourquet, 10
Metro Atocha
www.pepitaisdead.com

#46853 - 11/13/02 04:04 AM Re: Thrift Shops! Consignment Stores!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
There is a non-profit organization here in Spain called HUMANA which operates several second hand clothing stores in Barcelona, Madrid and Granada. If you follow the above link, it will take you directly to a page that has the addresses to the stores in each of the cities.

Of course there is a bit of controversy surrounding this non-profit...there is an interesting forum of opinions HERE ... if your Spanish is up to par.

The premise of this non-profit (in case you are interested) is to collect donations of used clothing and then send it directly to Africa, retaining some of the clothing to sell here in Spain in their stores.

I think Spaniards, as a whole (and very generally speaking mind you) eschew the idea of buying/ wearing used clothing, so the market for such here is not as big as it is in the USA.

Happy shopping!

#46854 - 11/15/02 08:59 AM Re: Thrift Shops! Consignment Stores!
Val Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi,

I have never been, but the British Ladies Club has a weekly thrift shop. They advertise this in The Broadsheet and InMadrid free English publications. Also, at their Christmas Bazar, they will sell used clothing (from 12-6 on December 1st in the Hotel Tryp Centro Norte (near Chamartin train station).

I'll be there shopping for toys and gifts which they'll also have!

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments