Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45963 - 08/11/00 02:56 PM What to buy while in Spain
ranman Offline

Loc: Canada
I will be in Spain for 2 weeks at end of September. What are some things that are a good deal to buy there? Also approximate prices would be helpful. And where(store)to buy.

Thank you so much
Ranman

#45964 - 08/11/00 03:33 PM Re: What to buy while in Spain
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Here are some ideas:

Food/drink category: wine (all prices), saffron, turron (a few dollars each), locally made pastries and cheeses, sausages, (watch out for customs on your way back!)

Ceramics: all prices. Best - and cheaper - to buy what they make locally. Each region has its own style. Madrid sells a lot of ceramics made in Talavera de la Reina. If you can, go there, and tour the factories. Very interesting. If you have a car, go on to the little town of Puente del Arzobispo, where the ceramics are exquisite. I recommend the de las Heras factory there.

Embroidery: Best place for embroidered tablecloths, bread sacks and mantónes (shawls) is the little town of Lagartera (just past Talavera de la Reina also). I bought a stunning huge hand-embroidered mantón there about 8 years ago for 10,000 ptas. Probably a bit more now, but there's a good exchange rate, too. They cost more than double that in Madrid.

Leather goods - look around.

From Toledo, the beautiful gold damascene work (all prices - prices are the same in Madrid as Toledo); swords, knives, etc...

In Madrid, the best places to see what's available are the souvenir deprtments of el Corte Ingles stores (on Castellano, metro Nuevos Ministerios; on Princesa, Metro Argüelles; and Gran Via/Sol, metro Callao or Sol). The shops across the street from the Prado museum also have an extensive selection. The prices are a bit higher than if you buy locally, but you may want to check them out to get an idea of what is available. I feel like I'm forgetting something... but I hope that can get you started.

#45965 - 09/05/00 12:01 PM Re: What to buy while in Spain
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
The rastro in Madrid had a lot of cool things but I couldn't get them to bargen with me so I had to pay the asking price for the things I wanted. If your intrested in anything sharp like me, I would defanatly head for toledo. I came home with a 3' sword. It only cost me a little over 2 mil (pts). Buy postcards with pictures of places you've been. Pictures don't always turn out the way you expect! I also came back with a lot of little cheap stuff to give away to family and friends. Stock up on kinder bars while your there though because I haven't seen them back here in the states.

#45966 - 09/06/00 05:02 AM Re: What to buy while in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
If you go to los toros, you can have a bullfight poster made up with your name as one of the toreros - don't know how much they cost now.

If you are into backpacking, there's a store called Ventiscas that specializes in outdoor stuff. There are three in the Madrid area, all across from malls (centros comercios). Last week I bought myself a 35-liter backpack for 5,300 pesetas (at the one across from the mall in Barrio Pilar - north central Madrid). In April I bought my son a 50-liter backpack at the Ventiscas store in Bilbao (Casco Viejo) for 7,950 pesetas: good quality, good price.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 09-22-2000).]

#45967 - 09/06/00 04:44 PM Re: What to buy while in Spain
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
They make those posters of the matadors with your name on them in plaza mayor. I think they cost over a mill pts. though. They also have them of flaminco dancers.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments