Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47638 - 10/22/05 07:52 PM USA: finding obscure Spanish wine
misspom Offline

Loc: new york
Evenin' all,

We fell in love in Andalucia with a FABULOUS wine and we can't find it anywhere here! and we're in New York City, for crying out loud!!
Yes, I know we should have bought more bottles than just the one but we couldn't imagine that here, of all places, it would be so hard to find. People with a vast knowledge of wine haven't even heard of it. Anyway- The name of the maker is Gutierrez-Colosia, the wine is Pedro Ximenez, a sweet dessert wine. Tastes like nothing else I've ever tasted and it evokes the lovely restaurant in Cordoba where they introduced us to this amazing wine, on the house...
Ah, Andalucia...

Thanks!

#47639 - 10/22/05 08:55 PM Re: USA: finding obscure Spanish wine
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Maybe you can get some shipped directly through the websites http://www.pedroximenez.com/ & http://www.gutierrez-colosia.com/ . But if you can't find it in New York City you probably can't get it in the USA - at least that's the experience I've had with wine shops there. Some of those same wine shops, if they don't carry it, they may be able to order it for you.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#47640 - 10/23/05 02:22 PM Re: USA: finding obscure Spanish wine
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
it may not be exactly what you are looking for but Pedro Ximenez is one of the grape varieties that go into certain kinds of Sherry, maybe you'd be able to find a bodega that sells jerez wine there, I've personally seen Lustau and Domecq sherries in New York...

#47641 - 10/24/05 06:16 AM Re: USA: finding obscure Spanish wine
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Misspom writes:
Quote:
We fell in love in Andalucia with a FABULOUS wine and we can't find it anywhere here! and we're in New York ...

The name of the maker is Gutierrez-Colosia, the wine is Pedro Ximenez, a sweet dessert wine. Tastes like nothing else I've ever tasted and it evokes the lovely restaurant in Cordoba where they introduced us to this amazing wine, on the house...
A lot of those Spanish sherries are not exported: most that are contain sulfites (which I can't handle). eek

The Grapes (Uvas) are Pedro Ximenez and there are probably other Cream Sherries made with thos same grapes: read the labels on the bottles rolleyes

If you're in Washington, D.C., try Central Liquors (near 10th & New York Ave.) or if you get over to Newark, N.J., check the Yellow Pages for 'probables' and let your fingers do the walking: You may not find any from Bodegas Gutierrez-Colosia but you should be able to find a similar Cream Sherry.

The Brits love Cream Sherry! the people who make 'Dry Sack' (Willams & Humbert?) might have a Pedro Ximenez Cream Sherry.

Once, I had occasion to drink some sweet sherry while eating Pecan Pie. It sent tingles down my spine ...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments