Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47298 - 07/26/04 10:39 AM Jewelry in Andalucia?
Sevillana Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Hello Everyone,

I love Spain so much that I have been thinking about a way to make it financially possible to return there a couple times a year. My thoughts have been along the lines of starting my own import/export business, and bringing jewelry back to the States for resale to boutiques and smaller venues. The type of jewelry I'm talking about is affordable - think garnets and iolite as opposed to rubies and sapphires.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the following questions:

1. Someone told me that in southern Spain, the best place to buy jewelry is Cordoba. Does anyone know anything more about a market they may have there, specializing in it?

2. What types of jewelry and semi-precious gems are common there?

3. In your opinion, are prices such that I could feasibly bring items back and mark them up for resale?

4. Are there licenses I would have to obtain in Spain to buy and ship jewelry?

5. How crazy is this idea? I'm just brainstorming here and really have no idea what the conditions are like in Spain for this sort of thing. In addition, I have very little money and would have to start small and buy on credit cards, so... ridiculous idea?

I'll be studying Spanish in Sevilla for six weeks starting in October, so I'll be able to check things out for myself then, but I was just hoping I could get a little jumpstart before going...

Thanks for your help!

#47299 - 07/27/04 12:02 AM Re: Jewelry in Andalucia?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Sorry, I don't have any information for you, but I think what you are contemplating is an excellent idea. I don't think it sounds crazy at all. Hell, we're all wishing we could get back to Spain more often. Make it happen. Good luck.

#47300 - 07/27/04 06:41 AM Re: Jewelry in Andalucia?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
I don't know much about jewelry and the feasibility of the business, but can confirm that Cordoba is a well renowned place for those items. Maybe this link can help you, it is the Website of the Association of Jewellers, Silversmiths and Watchmakers of Cordoba Its design is not too good, but there are contact links and addresses.

#47301 - 07/27/04 09:18 AM Re: Jewelry in Andalucia?
Sevillana Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Mencey - thank you so much for the encouragement - I can use it!

Thanks to you as well for the website, Torrales - I will definitely be checking it out shortly.

#47302 - 08/06/04 04:20 PM Re: Jewelry in Andalucia?
ScottyB Offline

Loc: New York
Andalucia is some of the best places in Spain.
You should try it out.
I will be in Cadiz in Aug/20 - Nov/18.
If things go good ill be stayin for awhile.
Hit me up..
I have some gold from Spain & always get asked were did i get it from.
Sounds like you got a plan..
Go for It...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2089 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments