Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#38687 - 09/24/03 08:40 AM girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hello as I told before in an other topic. I will be studying spanish for 1 week (super intensive course) from 2 till 9 november. I will arrive in the evening... Never been in Madrid before and I planned to take the Metro to the flat. Is it safe for a girl travelling alone??

greets Indie

#38688 - 09/24/03 09:28 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Completely safe public transportation. However some streets maybe a little dangerous at night, depending on where you go.

#38689 - 09/24/03 10:14 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

My school (enforex) is near Metro station San Bernardo ? San Bernardino? My hostal is still unknown. the school books it for me.

#38690 - 09/24/03 10:21 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never heard of muggins at San Bernardo, although it's in the Gran Via area, which is not so safe. But all this area is safe in the daylight and even in the night, with lots of people in the streets, because it's a lively central area. But be aware for pickpockets in Central Madrid.

The problem in the Gran Via/Sol area is the hallways, once you leave the crowded streets at night to get home. Even though it's would be very difficult that you were mugged, I know, and forum members have experienced, that it's not impossible, hence my advice: Not too important the school situaction, but be careful and ask to get an area that's safe at night.
cool

#38691 - 09/24/03 10:24 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Indie Offline

I´m getting scarier.... frown

#38692 - 09/24/03 02:14 PM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
I don´t know the statistics but it would not surprise me if Madrid happened to be safer than Amsterdam. It is one of the safest capitals in Europe, safer than Copenhagen, for example.

Andres
PS: avoid walking by yourself from 3:00 am on.

#38693 - 09/24/03 02:24 PM Re: girl alone in Madrid
tora Offline

Hi Indie,
seriously, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. I live pretty close to San Bernardo and I walk home (girl on my own) at night without ever having had any problems.
If you want to feel safer, just check out a route with wide streets and you'll have no problem. In my opinion, this area is one of the nicest in town, and there is people on the street (normal, happy, non-criminal people) at almost all hours.
As Andres said, Madrid is an extremely safe and friendly city - I think you have to be either extremely unlucky or go looking for trouble to get attacked. Hope you enjoy your stay!

#38694 - 09/24/03 06:11 PM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Castiza Offline

Indie, don't worry about it. I also know the area around Enforex (I live just 10-15 minutes walking from there) and it's perfectly safe. I take public transportation on a daily basis and feel safe in the area walking alone even at 3 a.m.

Of course, Madrid is a big city and things can happen when there're about 4.5 million people around but it's usually small crime like pickpocketing, which can be avoided if you're careful.

#38695 - 09/24/03 07:46 PM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Indie

I agree with what has been said, and I don't.

It is true that in statistics, Madrid is probably as safe as Copenhague, Munich or Paris. maybe you'd be safe 99,9999% of the times.

However:

- You are not so safe if you are a tourist. Tourists bring more cash everywhere, and won't ever meet you again because they leave soon. Also, many times they don't denounce because they are on holidays, and, if the criminal was found, they wouldn't come for the trial.

- There are certain areas in the city where the percentage of muggins is 100 more times higher than others, and these are close to Gran Via and Sol, very touristic places and where many affordable hostales are. I won't speak of deaths not to scare more.

If you see these areas you'll probably think I am lying, or at least exagerating a lot. However, I myself get amazed of how safe they seem (and are) in the daylight and in the night, crowded with people, and, on the other hand, knowing of frequent (for Spain) muggins in the area. I have helped some victims, so I know that what we see in the newspapers is true, and probably more, not denounced.

You are right that you're safe in the streets. Where you aren't safe sometimes is in the hallways, where usually hide groups of about three men who do this mugging stuff. There people can't see you and can't help you. And they don't know it unless they read the smallish notes in newspapers.

-There are muggins, and they are not so infrequent to tourists and in those areas. I searched for "muggins" here, at MM's, and I found 36 references. I didn't look them up because it's very late, but you can do the search yourself. MM's got about 3000+ members,and some have been mugged. I agree that the percentage is small, but not unexistant. More for tourists, and more in such areas.

Sorry to say this, for those who have bussiness in the area, but that's how I see it.

One of the threads:

An example of muggings threads, here, at MM\'s.

I think it wouldn't be fair not to say All the truth, but, having said this, I encorage you to come. If you take some precautions you will have safe and wonderful holidays. smile

#38696 - 09/25/03 03:20 AM Re: girl alone in Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
Where you aren't safe sometimes is in the hallways
What Igancio means here are the dark, narrow, side streets.

Yes, he is right. There is alot of petty crime that occurs in the Gran Vía/Puerta del Sol area, particularly focused on tourists.

However, as both Castiza and Tora have stated, Madrid overall is a safe city. I, too, am a woman (hence my board name wink ) and frequent those "petty crime ridden" areas and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

I think it´s more a question of street smarts. If you are a woman, wandering down dark & narrow city streets at 3am, you are asking for trouble (in ANY city in ANY country). Stick to the well lit streets and you will be fine.

Have a great trip, learn alot and have no fear!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments