My husband and I recently visited Madrid for Easter weekend and stayed at the Hostal Pinariega. The location was excellent -- just off the Plaza Mayor -- and the rooms were charming in a funky way, but people who request a double with complete bathroom should beware of room 11, where we first stayed. It was barely big enough for a full size bed and looked out onto an elevator shaft. After two nights we were able to move rooms (unfortunately to one without a toilet in the room). The new room was much larger and had a small balcony.

Service wise, we were surprised that none of the rooms had phones and the public phone in the hall was broken. When we asked for assistance in making a local call, rather than letting us use the hostal phone the girl told us to go use a public phone down the street. Not a big deal, but a little better service would've been nice! All in all, the Hostal Pinariega is a great location and bearable digs at a good price. But I think next time we'll spend the extra $30-40 or so to stay in a better place.