YES! Madrid is safe for a woman traveling alone. Of course, on my visits, I have stayed closer to the historic city center, but I have never felt threatened. I took the subway with luggage from the airport and also traveled by subway quite a bit.

When you are alone, it is easier to interact with people than when you are part of a group or couple. I have really enjoyed my conversations with the old couple at the diner and the Algerian at the bar. I figured that coming to Spain as a woman "of a certain age" that I would not be noticed by the Spanish men, but even at my advanced age, I still got some piropos. That's what I love about Spanish men, they can appreciate a woman of any age!

Despite the recent tragedy of Austin Bice, I would still highly encourage my children to study abroad. Of course, I would prefer Spain over Libya!

When traveling alone, it is important to use common sense and take necessary precautions, but there is something so liberating to making your own decisions based on your preferences rather than having to consider someone else's.