I am a US citizen and a legal resident. I have not started the "autonomo process" and I so I do not pay social security in Spain. I am not worried about paying into social security, really (maybe I should be), I just focus on building my own nest egg to be able to afford anything that I want or need in the future.

Perhaps I'll do it at some point, but it's not my priority now.

I am currently working on 7 years of back taxes in the US, 3 yrs completed, working on the remaining 4 yrs left (well, my CPA, that I found on Yelp, is). I pay him $500 a year for each year.

The problem is, I don't know how much longer I want to live in Spain. I am only here because of my son now and I only see him less than 8hrs a week.

I have lived here close to 2 yrs now, and have once lived here for 14 months in 2002. About 3 yrs total.

I'll just say that miss the entrepreneur spirit in the US and being around ambitious people. Spain is fun, but that's it. I need fun and a proactive environment. Many of my friends here are broke english teachers that party all the time. It's cool and I have fun, but I need more.
I would probably think differently if I worked at a Spanish company or something, but my mentality is way too big to settle for what I would be paid.

So, I work at home. Well, to be honest, I don't really work anymore as all my websites run on autopilot. I have all day to do whatever and aside from hitting the gym for a couple of hours a day and an intercambio from time to time, I am bored as hell.

I will do some traveling this coming month to shake some things up.

My long term plan may be to live here 3-6 months a year and back in the states for the other part of the year, each year. We'll see how it goes.

This is why I have not taken any steps to become an autonomo since I may just live in the states for most of each year and only a few months out of the year in Madrid (to be close to my son as he grows).

So, I may just hold off on switching Google accounts. I just hate having to withdraw money from my US bank account and deposit it here.

We'll see how it goes. For now, its a work in progress...

Edited by colenot (02/20/11 01:21 AM)